Growing Together: Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Bulb Crates

Posted 03-31-2022 11:11:00 AM
    Hi there, does anyone have a hack for purchasing bulb crates for harvest? This website sells them in large quantities, I don't need 300. Tips for durable, kid proof harvesting containers?​

------------------------------
    Kyle Weatherhogg
    Morrisville, VT

• 2.  RE: Bulb Crates

Posted 03-31-2022 11:16:00 AM
    I found a source!

Kyle Weatherhogg

• 3.  RE: Bulb Crates

Posted 04-01-2022 12:13:00 PM
    Would you mind to share your source? I've been curious as well.

Danielle Tipton
    Parkway Elementary School
    Boone NC

• 4.  RE: Bulb Crates

Posted 04-04-2022 09:54:00 AM
    Hi Danielle,
    I learned that a local nursery in Vermont sells them for around $5 each. As @Tracy Calla mentioned, a local nursey may be your best bet! (Thank you Tracy!)

Kyle​

Kyle Weatherhogg

• 5.  RE: Bulb Crates

Posted 04-01-2022 10:38:00 PM
    Have you popped by a local garden center? I work at a retail nursery and we always have dozens of these kicking around. The growers we purchase from rarely want them back, and while they are useful we certainly don't need as many as we end up with!
    If you can't find these particular crates,  you can also stop by your nearby supermarket, liquor store, dollar spot, bakery, or even restaurant. They receive deliveries that come in similar containers. (I personally love bakery bread racks!)

Tracy Calla

• 6.  RE: Bulb Crates

Posted 04-02-2022 03:16:00 PM
    Hi Kyle and Community!
    I found a few of these Harvest Garden Colanders at my local grocery store in the seasonal section on clearance. I don't have a lot of veggies to pick at once  usually so I like that these are a manageable size for younger kids to carry around while harvesting and washing. I have been happy with them for a couple of seasons. 

https://www.amazon.com/Hutzler-3780GR-Garden-Colander-Green/dp/B00LWZBWAY/ref=asc_df_B00LWZBWAY/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167123558869&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14049656879214276181&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028761&hvtargid=pla-274298426325&th=1

Pamela Cooley
    Prairie Winds Elementary
    Hawk Gathering Garden- Volunteer Garden
    Coordinator
    zoo_fro@hotmail.com
    Monument CO USA

• 7.  RE: Bulb Crates

Posted 04-04-2022 09:52:00 AM
    Thank you for sharing, these look like great containers and like you mentioned, would be a great size for young children to carry!

Kyle Weatherhogg