Growing Together: Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Best vermicompost books for ECE?

Posted 12-17-2021 02:55:00 PM
    Hi! 

We are looking for recommendations of books about composting with worms to read with 3 and 4 year olds. 

Thank you!

Laura

------------------------------
    laura calderon

• 2.  RE: Best vermicompost books for ECE?

Posted 12-20-2021 09:01:00 AM
    Hi Laura,

• Compost Stew: An A to Z Recipe for the Earth by Mary McKenna Siddals and illustrated by Ashley Wolff.

--
    Michelle Zupan
    Curator 
    Hickory Hill & the Tom Watson Birthplace
    502 Hickory Hill Drive
    Thomson, GA  30824
    706-595-7777
    FAX: 706-595-7177

Visit us at www.hickory-hill.org or on Facebook.
    Follow us on Twitter: HHEducation

Historic homes of the Watson-Brown Foundation, Inc

• 3.  RE: Best vermicompost books for ECE?

Posted 12-20-2021 09:10:00 AM
    I've used:
    The Simple Science of Dirt by Emily James and then we go and dissect dirt to find out what lives in it.  I like it as a way to introduce non-fiction reading.  Of course, it also gives me an excuse to do that dirt dissection.  :)

• 4.  RE: Best vermicompost books for ECE?

Posted 01-04-2022 04:34:00 PM
      |   view attached
    One of the books that I have used successfully with preschoolers (3- and 4-year-olds) over the last 15 years has been Wonderful Worms by Linda Glaser. I don't so much read it as "tell it" based on the pictures. I invite the children to help me tell the story by acting out different parts of the story. For example, on the page where it says, "Worms feel sounds with their whole bodies. They feel thunder when I walk.", we make thunder with our feet and feel the vibration in the floor. On the pages where it talks about how worms move through the soil, we all wiggle our bodies to practice being digging, stretching, squeezing worms. We also spend time hunting for other nature friends that are pictured in the illustrations. After we finish the book, we hand out worms for the children to gently pet (or just peer at, in some cases). The whole circle time, including the Little Earthworm Song, the engagement questions, story, and worm petting is about a 20-minute circle time. It is a lot of fun.

Erin Hoffer
    Sustainability and Environmental Education Division (SEED)
    Plano TX
    erinhof@plano.gov

Attachment(s)