Growing Together: Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  garden food safety plan

Posted 12-13-2021 08:57:00 AM
    Hi everyone!  I am working to get our after school gardens going.  We have all of the beds, fencing and supplies, but I am also needing a garden food safety plan.  Has anyone done something like this, and would share.  I am looking for a place to get started and there is just tons of information out there.

Thank you,

Heather Mullens
    OKTEP
    Farm to Community Coordinator

------------------------------
    Heather Mullens

• 2.  RE: garden food safety plan

Posted 12-13-2021 11:16:00 AM
    Hi Heather,

Here's Oregon Department of Education's School Garden Food Safety Training & Documentation Manual.  I wrote this about 10 years ago with the help of about 50 editors, was vetted by our state's Health Department Inspectors. 

There are a lot of school garden protocols out there, but none that I've seen like this that documents what you've done to your health department.

Rick Sherman

• 3.  RE: garden food safety plan

Posted 12-13-2021 11:54:00 AM
    Thanks for the recommendation, Rick! There is some excellent information in the manual.

Erin Hoffer
    Sustainability and Environmental Education Division (SEED)
    Plano TX
    erinhof@plano.gov

• 4.  RE: garden food safety plan

Posted 12-13-2021 11:52:00 AM
    Heather,

Even though we are in Texas, we have used the resources available from North Carolina Extension as a basis for developing our own guidelines. https://nccommunitygardens.ces.ncsu.edu/nccommunitygardens-growing-food/nccommunitygardens-food-safety-in-community-gardens/ 

Erin

Erin Hoffer
    Sustainability and Environmental Education Division (SEED)
    Plano TX
    erinhof@plano.gov

• 5.  RE: garden food safety plan

Posted 12-14-2021 11:20:00 AM
    Hello all! The Arizona Department of Health Services School Garden Program has some useful info and guidelines that might be helpful. They have offered free certification for school and community gardens for a number of years now.

https://www.azdhs.gov/preparedness/epidemiology-disease-control/food-safety-environmental-services/index.php#school-garden-program-home

Best of luck!  :-)

Carole

Carole Palmer

• 6.  RE: garden food safety plan

Posted 02-22-2022 11:12:00 AM
    Edited by Zombotrec Zombotrec 02-24-2022 07:43:36 AM
    It seems to me that this is just a mandatory procedure, especially for kindergartens. After all, the health of our children, including you, depends on the quality control of nutrition. Therefore, when we settled into a new kindergarten, I immediately joined the parents' council. And without hesitation, she offered to monitor the quality of products in the kitchen with the help of food safety test. I was really pleased that the tests have never shown at least some inconsistency. But do not relax, we will check them. For the sake of the health of our beloved children.

Zombotrec Zombotrec