Growing Together: Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Citizen Scientist

Posted 11-23-2021 11:24:00 AM
    Wondering if anyone has any templates or examples of notebooks for a citizen scientist project I am starting with my students.  

We have begun investigating a growing patch of law on school property that is dead in an unusual pattern.  And growing.  We started by taking measurements and photos of the impacted area.  After reflection, we backed up and disected soil from our garden (which is just across the sidewalk from this area) and some soil from an area of sod that is not near the patch.  

My struggle is with keeping this organized in a meaningful way.  I only meet with the students for 30 minutes each day.  I'd like to build on thier skills and projects at the year progresses.  With students selecting their own focus.

Has anyone done a similar project?  I'm trying to picture in my mind how it should look to get the best impact.

------------------------------
    Rebecca Newsom

• 2.  RE: Citizen Scientist

Posted 11-24-2021 11:50:00 AM
    Hi Rebecca,

You might look at Square Foot Outdoor Monitoring as an idea. 
    There are places, like Journey North, where kids can report seeing monarchs, robins, milkweed, etc. There si a Japanese Lady Beetle monitoring program. There is also the Great Sunflower Project that they can do inside their square foot. Just google those. 

Best of luck.

--
    Michelle Zupan
    Curator 
    Hickory Hill & the Tom Watson Birthplace
    502 Hickory Hill Drive
    Thomson, GA  30824
    706-595-7777
    FAX: 706-595-7177

Visit us at www.hickory-hill.org or on Facebook.
    Follow us on Twitter: HHEducation

Historic homes of the Watson-Brown Foundation, Inc

• 3.  RE: Citizen Scientist

Posted 11-27-2021 10:54:00 AM
    Hi Rebecca,

I highly recommend connecting with the folks at scistarter.org. They have tons of resources to help with any type of citizen science. Email them. They are quick to respond and would love to connect. They can hook you up with scientists interested in similar projects that can talk to your students, help you plan out a project, provide resources, etc. They are passionate about citizen science and would love to help spread their love of science to kids and other adults.

Jennifer Gallagher