Growing Together: Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Seeds vs. Transplants

Posted 01-20-2022 01:50:00 PM
    Hello from Michigan,

I was wondering out of those of you that are gardening in schools, how many of you start all of your plants from seed, how many acquire more mature transplants, or how many do a hybrid of both?

Growing seeds with students in the classroom and transporting them outdoors when it is time to plant is an excellent way for students to be involved in the early stages of growth. However, getting larger transplants in when it is time to plant outside is useful in zones where there isn't much time between the last frost and the end of the school year. This could mean that the students have a better chance at witnessing the plants begin to fruit. I would love to hear about your experiences with this.

Right now I plan to do a hybrid of both. Detroit Public Schools is partnered with an incredible organization called Keep Growing Detroit. All of the district's schools with gardens are enrolled in their Garden Resource Program, and they distribute both seeds and transplants to those sites. If you are in Detroit, check them out! They partner with family, community, school, and market gardens and offer a ton of other support. 

Garden Resource Program Application Details
    Garden Resource Program Information

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Laura Sajdak
    FoodCorps - Mackenzie Elementary-Middle School and Henderson Academy
    Detroit MI

• 2.  RE: Seeds vs. Transplants

Posted 01-21-2022 11:23:00 AM
    Do you know if there's something like this for areas further south?  We are in Western North Carolina.

Sharon Searcy
    Edneyville Elementary School
    Hendersonville NC

• 3.  RE: Seeds vs. Transplants

Posted 01-25-2022 12:36:00 PM
    Hello from Nebraska,

We do both. Most of the plants we start from seed go home with the students. We also partner with the FFA which has a greenhouse. They donate plants for our garden. 

Kristin Maag
    Bayard Afterschool Director
    Bayard, NE

Kristin Maag

• 4.  RE: Seeds vs. Transplants

Posted 02-01-2022 01:42:00 PM
    We start seeds for our annual herb sale and the students buy a pots for $1 each. Anything leftover goes into the garden. Other than radish seeds and maybe sugar snap peas, everything else is purchased from Lowe's when they have seedlings in stock. I buy the 6-packs of veggies in the fall, cut them apart, and let the kids take their pick. I like the idea of starting seeds, but the reality is that I don't want to come to school over breaks and weekends to make sure the seedlings are watered. This doesn't mean I don't love the garden, it just means that I have to draw the line somewhere.

[Lara] [Guerra]
    [Science Teacher]
    [The Hockaday School]
    [Dallas] [Texas]
    [lguerra@hockaday.org]

• 5.  RE: Seeds vs. Transplants

Posted 02-02-2022 11:18:00 AM
    HI Laura.  We're fortunate to have a greenhouse so we start all our plants for our garden as well as have a seedling sale.  
    Each year our 3rd graders save seeds from the garden and we purchase bulk from Fedco and Johnny's here on the east coast.  The students create beautiful artwork for seed packets and we have a Seed Store Sale early March.  At the same time in March our 4th graders are starting seeds in the greenhouse for our annual seedling sale in early May.  We do both seed and seedling sale as many plants like to be direct seeded where others need to be put out as a transplant, and of course there are the ones who can do both.  There is great literacy and math built into these projects.  The kiddos love it.  And I agree.  There is great power in being involved in the process from seed to seedling.  Hope you have a great season....

Pam Flory
    Princeton Day School

• 6.  RE: Seeds vs. Transplants

Posted 02-05-2022 07:34:00 AM
    Pam,
       The seed and seedling sales are awesome ideas for involving the community in your school garden! Also thank you for the recommendations of seed suppliers. 
        Allison

Allison Burnett
    Hardeeville SC

• 7.  RE: Seeds vs. Transplants

Posted 02-04-2022 05:10:00 AM

I used to buy a lot of transplants often waiting until the stores were about to clear them out. Not ideal since they'd be a bit root bound, but when you're funding the garden yourself, you do what you have to.  I'd often ask for shops to donate older transplants rather than throw them out and this worked out well in the winter garden since here in SC we can grow brassicas and greens all winter long.  

I also had a very active garden blog and offered to write up the planting experience with the kids and post pictures including the information about the shop where I got the plants. Over the years I established relationships with small garden shops, local farmers, and family run farmstands.  Once I was given a full flat of 48 red Russian kale plants by the matriarch of a farming family here who said her son decided not to plant it since customers found it too bitter. That started my love affair with this vegetable and it is seeded in our garden every year now. 

My best friend is now an organic farmer and since meeting him I know that if I really needed a few
    transplants, he'd have extra for
    the kids. 

I guess my point is you should make connections with community members in the industry and offer to help them promote.  Make it a win-win.  There are so many people who will be willing to help out when they learn that the resources they are offering are going to the cause of educating children about nature and influencing their nutritional choices. 

Currently I'm working at a charter school with a small greenhouse that allows me to start seeds in the winter months. This is the resource I'd've given my right arm for while working at a public school.  We start leafy greens in window boxes spaced an inch or so apart and transplant them while
    still small enough to separate them and have done our own peppers and other nightshade family plants like ground cherries
    in there too, but we also direct-sow a lot in the beds as
    well.  (Tip: If you have a greenhouse, dig up your peppers, cut them back hard,
    and keep them in the greenhouse over the winter watering sparingly.  They will re-grow and start producing much earlier than new transplants, getting much bigger with successive years in the garden and producing much more fruit!)

I have not bothered to deal with growing my own tomatoes for
    the past 3 years (not
    the easiest thing to grow well from seed) because I learned of a neighborhood gardener who grows 150-200 varieties of tomato in his back yard and offers free transplants to anyone who wants them every year in April.  The guy grows 1500-2000 plants a year and has amazing varieties each year and just announces that the plants are available in his driveway for anyone to come and take…  Again, community connections…

Michael Frank

• 8.  RE: Seeds vs. Transplants

Posted 02-04-2022 07:56:00 AM
    Edited by Allison Burnett 02-04-2022 07:57:57 AM
    Hey Michael,
      Thank you for your inspiring post! I am helping to launch a vegetable container garden for the Spring growing season at a day program for adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Over the past four months, I have been reaching out to garden centers, the local master gardener's association, local farms, etc. A lot of people do not respond. Some people will show initial interest and then lack follow up. My point is that I found your stories incredibly encouraging. I'm going to continue to knock on peoples' doors and, over time, I have faith that we will make lasting and enriching community connections. We're not giving up!

My social work education has taught me that support systems are vital to wellbeing in terms of resilience: the capacity to problem solve, the strength to overcome challenges, and the ability to bounce back from Life's hardships. Your emphasis on collaboration speaks to how gardening is such an effective way to involve diverse community members and build community connections. Clearly, gardening has the potential to be so much more than growing plants.

That's amazing about the grower who gives tomato starts away! Interestingly, our garden club is also located in South Carolina.

I hope you continue to post your insights & ideas and keep inspiring others!

Allison

Allison Burnett
    Hardeeville SC

• 9.  RE: Seeds vs. Transplants

Posted 02-04-2022 05:24:00 AM

Unfortunately in your situation you may be limited to starting only certain things indoors extra early and transplanting them early as well and then protecting them from the cold.  You could start kale and other brassica plants or lettuces early indoors 2-3 weeks before the ground thaws and then set them out as soon as the ground can be worked.  Covering with row covers or sheets at night (or all day if
    its going to freeze) should be enough protection for winter hardy crops. 

Onion sets can go in early and peas can actually freeze in the ground and survive.  Radishes can be started in cell packs
    indoors and transplanted out as soon as the soil can be worked as well.  Carrots can be direct seeded early too.

I started out Garden Blog in part to give the kids a chance to keep
    up with the progress of the garden over the summer too.  It is a great educational tool allowing the kids to share experiences in nature as well
    as their own home gardens with each other and the school community or even the world if
    you feel comfortable making
    posts public.  Even here in the South though, much of what happens in the garden happens in summer when the kids aren't in school.  Keeping the garden up over the summer and sharing its progress is how I deal with trying to involve the kids and school community in the summer. 

Your fall season could be your best opportunity to have kids see an actual harvest where you are located. You'd just have to plant fall crops or try to keep the garden going year-round. 

Michael Frank