Growing Together: Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Starting a garden for my special education students

Posted 10-16-2021 06:47:00 PM

Hello! My name is DIane and I am an intern Teacher in WCCUSD in East Bay California..
    I am in the process of starting a garden at the school I am currently at and practicing creating a garden and curriculum for the school I will be at next year. 

My plan so far is to have a section of California natives, a Butterfly garden, a sensory garden for students with sensory integration issues, an SEL section for relaxing and learning, and three raised beds for fruits and vegetables.
    My goal is of course to have the garden continue after I move to my new school. To make the garden accessible for all students, and to make it a place for community and inclusion. I have lots of ideas and am working hard on getting a good plan together keeping in mind that California is in drought mode and thinking of ways, such as drip irrigation, to keep it going when school is not in session.
    I have been looking for grants, making plans, and trying to create a garden curriculum that works for the vary diversified community of students I work with.
    Any ideas, thoughts, or suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated! I am excited about making Gardens central part of all my future classes and want to keep learning a long with my students. 
    Thanks!'DIane

------------------------------
    Diane Matlock

• 2.  RE: Starting a garden for my special education students

Posted 10-18-2021 08:46:00 AM
    Hi Diane,

This is from the Kids Gardening website www.kidsgardening.org -- just use the term "special needs" in the Search function to get more. 

The curriculum at VeggieUA+ is great and designed entirely for special needs students. 

--
    Michelle Zupan
    Curator 
    Hickory Hill & the Tom Watson Birthplace
    502 Hickory Hill Drive
    Thomson, GA  30824
    706-595-7777
    FAX: 706-595-7177

Visit us at www.hickory-hill.org or on Facebook.
    Follow us on Twitter: HHEducation

Historic homes of the Watson-Brown Foundation, Inc

• 3.  RE: Starting a garden for my special education students

Posted 10-21-2021 11:24:00 PM
    Thanks so much for the email and all the information you sent. I really appreciate your help. I will be in touch to let you know how things go.

Take care,
    Diane

• 4.  RE: Starting a garden for my special education students

Posted 10-21-2021 01:54:00 PM
    Check on the Captain Planet grant and with the Jeffers Foundation (Jeffers might only be in Minnesota)

Rebecca Newsom

• 5.  RE: Starting a garden for my special education students

Posted 10-22-2021 08:51:00 PM
    Hi Diane,

Find a large list of grant searching ideas here https://lifelab.org/2020/03/grant-searching/

I might also suggest you connect with https://www.living-classroom.org/contact.html in the the South SF Bay Area as they install native garden spaces as part of their school gardens. 
    They also list Native Plant resources on their resource page.
    https://www.living-classroom.org/resources.html

Be well,
    John Fisher
    Life Lab www.lifelab.org
    SGSO Network www.sgsonetwork.org

John Fisher