Growing Together: Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Cultural Gardening

Posted 01-11-2022 09:40:00 PM
    My favorite activity is connecting with families and finding the vegetables and herbs they use in their cooking and identifying their recipes and uses. I did this with our student garden I had at my home during the pandemic for neighborhood children. A wonderful take away for me was also learning new ways the parents shared for gardening, things they learned in their country or from elders in their families.  Tying their culture to the gardens allowed me to bring in languages, root words and meanings, and history and the ability to travel the world while we gardened in my front yard.

------------------------------
    THERESA HAGELBARGER

• 2.  RE: Cultural Gardening

Posted 02-28-2022 12:01:00 PM
    I agree Theresa! 

I have a session I am running this summer in our garden called "Flavors of Home" and I am excited to work with young gardeners in identifying the plants they have close relationship to based on what their families teach them! I love the idea of bringing in different language through investigating root words and meanings. Do you have any favorite activities or resources that you've done? I'm looking forward to preserving and pickling, create a collective recipe book, but I am always looking to see what other educators are doing!

Mallory Muya
    Queens Botanical Garden
    Bronx NY

• 3.  RE: Cultural Gardening

Posted 03-01-2022 10:42:00 AM
    Edited by Lori Koenick 03-01-2022 10:44:27 AM
    Hi folks, love these ideas! I love bringing families into the garden and asking young gardeners what they might already be growing at home.
    Some resources that could be helpful:

Lori Koenick
    Cornell Garden-Based Learning
    Horticulture Section
    School of Integrative Plant Science
    Cornell University
    Pronouns: She/Her/Hers