Gardening with Kids at Home

View Only
  • 1.  At Home Winter Activities

Posted 01-13-2022 12:58:00 PM
    Hello everyone,

I am a FoodCorps service member in Detroit. Since the beginning of the school year, class has been in person and I focused a lot on hands-on learning in the garden and classroom, along with occasional taste tests. COVID cases in the city have been increasing, and the district is now doing virtual school. I was looking for some ideas for virtual lessons that involve gardening, nature, and/or vegetables and fruits! Easy cooking demonstrations would be nice, and I was thinking I could demonstrate some fun at home activities intended for parents/kids while on the zoom call. If anyone has any indoor winter activities highlighting these things, please send them my way.

Thank you :)

------------------------------
    Laura Sajdak
    FoodCorps
    MI

• 2.  RE: At Home Winter Activities

Posted 01-13-2022 11:34:00 PM
    You could make an omelet with eggs and green onions/scallions, save and wash the shells and the egg carton. On another day use the eggshells to start seeds for planting directly into the garden! Teach them about regrowing scallions by putting the remaining couple inches and the roots in water!

Donna Miller

• 3.  RE: At Home Winter Activities

Posted 01-20-2022 12:36:00 PM
    Thanks Donna. I love your idea to regrow the scallions. We grew avocado seeds together after a guacamole lesson and they loved tracking the growth!

Laura Sajdak
    FoodCorps - Mackenzie Elementary-Middle School and Henderson Academy
    Detroit MI