Growing Together: Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How does your garden beautify or enhance your space?

• 1.  How does your garden beautify or enhance your space?

Posted 04-19-2022 01:35:00 PM
    Edited by Amelia Dupuis (she/her) 04-19-2022 03:14:56 PM

Week three of Kids Garden Month! A big thank you to everyone who has taken the time to respond to our prompts from the first two weeks. I can't wait to read the responses to this week's question!

As a reminder, everyone who responds this week is entered into a drawing to win a goodie package of Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day products, seeds, gloves, and more! 

This week's topic: How does your garden/gardening help beautify or enhance your space? (Feel free to share photos with your response!)

------------------------------
    Amelia Dupuis
    Kids Garden Community Manager
    KidsGardening

• 2.  RE: How does your garden beautify or enhance your space?

Posted 04-19-2022 02:11:00 PM
    Edited by Eleanor Mocker 04-19-2022 03:42:02 PM
    In Central Wisconsin, most of our school year is spent gardening inside my library due to the harsh weather outside. My students help me propagate plants, start seeds, and take care of potted tropical plants. It's so refreshing to be surrounded by greenery during the bleakest winter days. It feels a bit like hope and spring everyday I come to work. While the fluorescent overhead lights are jarring and give me headaches sometimes, the beauty of our indoor plants makes up for it. I know the full spectrum lights might be unkind to my eyes, but are just what our plants need to grow.

Eleanor Mocker
    Almond-Bancroft School District Librarian
    Almond, WI

• 3.  RE: How does your garden beautify or enhance your space?

Posted 04-19-2022 02:34:00 PM
    It has taken many years, but what used to be primarily a hill of weeds is now a pleasant space devoted to 4 raised garden beds. Watching the vegetables grow from seeds and seedlings throughout the spring and summer is quite enjoyable for me, for my co-workers, and for the children who participate in the garden club. Instead of being a neglected area, it is a destination to visit for several reasons: to maintain the garden, to take pride in the garden's growth, or just to meditate in its beauty.

Karen Stuppi
    Children's Librarian
    New Brunswick Free Public Library

• 4.  RE: How does your garden beautify or enhance your space?

Posted 04-19-2022 02:36:00 PM
    Edited by TLC (Tracey) Nielsen 04-20-2022 03:59:40 PM
    Our April
    Our garden space, both indoors and out of doors, is right by the library hub's windows, backing up to a marsh. So adding plants inside and out adds such beauty. We've seen all types of birds and creatures, like muskrats, scurrying around by the windows so we have a pair of binoculars and a list of local critters for which to keep watch. Currently students are planting flower and salad seeds and almost everything has sprouted now! For the indoor plants, we're providing medium pots, in conjunction with our Environmental Club, so students can take their lovely plants home. Anything left in May will go outside to a new shared community garden (container based), edged with the leftover beautiful flowers that will attract pollenators.

TLC (Tracey) Nielsen
    Grayslake Community HS District 127
    Grayslake IL

• 5.  RE: How does your garden beautify or enhance your space?

Posted 04-19-2022 03:20:00 PM
    Just added this to the original post but @Eleanor Mocker, @Karen Stuppi, @TLC (Tracey) Nielsen and anyone else who replies, feel free to share photos with your response! As you're typing (or editing) your post, you can insert a photo directly into the post using the mountain/sun in a frame icon in the text editor bar or use the "Upload file" button to add a photo as an attachment.​​​

Amelia Dupuis
    KidsGardening

• 6.  RE: How does your garden beautify or enhance your space?

Posted 04-20-2022 04:00:00 PM
    Thanks for the reminder we can add photos!

TLC (Tracey) Nielsen
    Grayslake Community HS District 127
    Grayslake IL

• 7.  RE: How does your garden beautify or enhance your space?

Posted 04-19-2022 06:20:00 PM
    In Arizona the weather is beautiful right now.  Our garden makes us feel better about our day.  We can do so many things in our garden.  We can relax, read, just breath and get away from anything, or go talk with a friend.

Norma Rich

• 8.  RE: How does your garden beautify or enhance your space?

Posted 04-20-2022 12:40:00 PM
    This week's topic: How does your garden/gardening help beautify or enhance your space? (Feel free to share photos with your response!)

Our school garden is beautiful because our students plant and maintain the space.  This spaces enables our students to be creative in non traditional academic ways, as well as be outside in the fresh air. New families and visitors to our school love to visit the garden and to see the vegetables and the flowers. They are always enamored by the garden space and love the programs that we offer.
    Pollinators also find our garden beautiful. In the warmer months we plant all sorts of flowers to attract the pollinators to the garden, and they definitely show up! They especially love the rosemary and hyssop flowers! It is so vital that our students connect with the garden and pollinators so that the next generation are good stewards of our environment.
    Lastly, we are very fortunate to have an aquaponics system that our science and garden classes use throughout the year. In the winter time when little is growing outside, the aquaponics system is beautiful, green and most importantly producing food for our students.

Anne Baines
    Cornerstone Prep Academy

• 9.  RE: How does your garden beautify or enhance your space?

Posted 04-20-2022 01:02:00 PM
    Our garden has taken an empty side yard of the school and added so much beauty in so many ways including raised beds of vegetables, perrenials, strawberries, and herbs as well as a pergola with seating for an outdoor classroom, a living border of shrubs and ornamental grasses with an arbor entrance, a newly added greenhouse and in ground pollinator bed, bird houses and feeders as well as water stations for butterflies.  Our garden has become a community gathering place on weekends and evenings.

Karen Lambing

• 10.  RE: How does your garden beautify or enhance your space?

Posted 04-20-2022 03:12:00 PM
    My garden has been a work in progress for many years now.  I have flower beds around my house that I have been adding new plants to yearly.  I love pulling into the driveway and seeing all the beautiful colors in the spring, summer and early fall.  I also have pollinator gardens that my family and I love watching the butterflies and bees enjoy.  My vegetable garden is surrounded by sunflowers and zinnias.  I love to watch how tall and strong they grow.  My gardens make such a pleasant backdrop when we are entertaining.  My gardens also provide a space for my children and grandchild to explore and learn about nature.
    Our school greenhouse and garden helps provide a wonderful  place for our students to learn and grow.  It also provides a beautiful place for visitors to view when they come to our building.

Dana Flaherty

• 11.  RE: How does your garden beautify or enhance your space?

Posted 04-20-2022 03:35:00 PM
    Our school's pollinator garden is the center of focus upon entering our gates. It is the first thing our students see in the morning. As our school's garden teacher I guide the kids into reseeding the garden each season. Our American Legion Poppies are in full bloom, the humming birds and butterflies are joining us throughout the day, and the sunflowers are getting ready to lead us into summer.

Sarah Clancy

• 12.  RE: How does your garden beautify or enhance your space?

Posted 04-20-2022 08:27:00 PM
    My garden enhances my space with  3 seasons of color along with birds, bees and butterflies. As much as I love the color green, I prefer a rainbow of colors as opposed to just one color which would be the color of lawns. Every year I try to add more native plants, early and late bloomers for all the wonderful bugs and for all of my neighbors to enjoy as well!

donna Logan
    Penn State Master Gardener
    Erie PA

• 13.  RE: How does your garden beautify or enhance your space?

Posted 04-21-2022 03:05:00 PM
    Clayton Community Garden is the place for classrooms  to refocus during the school year.   Each grade level plans, plants and maintains their plot in the spring and gathers the produce to take home in the fall.   This  spring students will study pollination, composting and the life cycle of plants  Grade levels have seedlings growing well preparing for planting in their plots

In the summer, the Garden is the social gathering spot for the community.   We connect with Master Gardeners for classes, Mom groups meet to lunch,  families walk through the garden to reflect and rejuvenate.   Out Little Library brings in book clubs and young readers.   We are truly blessed to have this space available for our community.

Lorraine Cahill

• 14.  RE: How does your garden beautify or enhance your space?

Posted 04-21-2022 10:06:00 PM
    My garden beautifies my space by adding shapes and colors that are pleasing to be around. The towering yellow sunflowers seem so mighty and appeal to everyone. The red clover stands out and beckons almost to say look at me. The blue borage attracts the bees so that they can carry on their business of making the garden more beautiful. The yellow daffodils, though only with us a short time put on a stunning display. The fava beans stand tall and strong and provide hiding places for the kids when we play hide n seek. The California poppies brilliant orange calls to anyone walking 
    by. And the purple of the lavender is as stunning as it's scent. 
    Bob

Clayton Community Garden is the place for classrooms  to refocus during the school year.   Each grade level plans, plants and maintains their plot...
    Kids Garden Community

Growing Together: Open Forum

Post New Message
    Re: How does your garden beautify or enhance your space?
    Reply to Group Online Reply to Group Reply to Sender Reply to Sender via Email
    Lorraine Cahill
    Apr 21, 2022 3:05 PM  |    view attache
    Lorraine Cahill
    Clayton Community Garden is the place for classrooms  to refocus during the school year.   Each grade level plans, plants and maintains their plot in the spring and gathers the produce to take home in the fall.   This  spring students will study pollination, composting and the life cycle of plants  Grade levels have seedlings growing well preparing for planting in their plots

In the summer, the Garden is the social gathering spot for the community.   We connect with Master Gardeners for classes, Mom groups meet to lunch,  families walk through the garden to reflect and rejuvenate.   Out Little Library brings in book clubs and young readers.   We are truly blessed to have this space available for our community.

Lorraine Cahill
      View Thread   Recommend   Forward   Flag as Inappropriate  

You are subscribed to "Growing Together: Open Forum" as jpavlak@sccs.net. To change your subscriptions to receive more or fewer emails, go to My Subscriptions. To unsubscribe and stop receiving emails from this community discussion, go to Unsubscribe.
    Join the Growing School Food Gardens Community on background of vegetables

Original Message:
    Sent: 4/21/2022 3:05:00 PM
    Subject: RE: How does your garden beautify or enhance your space?

Lorraine Cahill

• 15.  RE: How does your garden beautify or enhance your space?

Posted 04-22-2022 11:23:00 AM
    It creates an area that you can spend time in, either planting or later watching the plants grow. It is something peaceful within the stresses of everyday life.

Gloria Wilson

• 16.  RE: How does your garden beautify or enhance your space?

Posted 04-27-2022 08:18:00 AM
    Thank you all for sharing these uplifting glimpses into your gardens. The photos are great to see! Congrats to @Dana Flaherty for winning this week's prize. Our last Kids Garden Month celebration post is up and I can't wait to read your responses!​

Amelia Dupuis
    KidsGardening