Growing Together: Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  start up supplies

Posted 10-19-2021 03:50:00 PM
    Hello Fellow Growers, 
         I have recently become the owner of a 3 tier Grow Lab with lights and I intend to begin indoor growing with 20 students with Autism.  Is anyone familiar with a group in the New York Area that might be able to grant us some supplies  to begin.  Things like soil, pods, seeds   and even some video instructions and lessons for the students.          
                                                     thx, Mr. G

------------------------------
    Frank Gambardella
    South Richmond High School
    Staten Island NY

• 2.  RE: start up supplies

Posted 10-19-2021 04:04:00 PM
    That's exciting, Frank. Where in New York are you?
    Do you have the Grow Lab books?

Em Shipman
    Executive Director
    she/her (why pronouns?)

KidsGardening's mission is to create opportunities for kids to play, learn, and grow through gardening, engaging their natural curiosity and wonder. 

Read about our impact.

802-222-7884 

• 3.  RE: start up supplies

Posted 10-20-2021 11:07:00 AM
    Sounds like a wonderful project Frank!
    Contact your local county Master Gardeners, they should be able to help you.

• 4.  RE: start up supplies

Posted 10-20-2021 11:48:00 AM
    Hi Frank,

Check with your local garden store (maybe even a big box like Lowes). It's the end of season, so they are likely to be willing to give away seeds and soil.  Lowes also has a grant program.

Teacher resources: 

--
    Michelle Zupan
    Curator 
    Hickory Hill & the Tom Watson Birthplace
    502 Hickory Hill Drive
    Thomson, GA  30824
    706-595-7777
    FAX: 706-595-7177

Visit us at www.hickory-hill.org or on Facebook.
    Follow us on Twitter: HHEducation

Historic homes of the Watson-Brown Foundation, Inc

• 5.  RE: start up supplies

Posted 10-20-2021 04:11:00 PM
    Hi there, Frank!

Congratulations on getting this new program started!

I think a great place to begin, since you are working with exceptional students, might be with the horticultural therapy community in NY. They may be able to put you in touch with a person or group to partner with you, or know which direction to point you in for supplies or instructional materials (or funding for same) :)
    I'm in the Carolinas, so don't know anyone up your way, but I do know the Northeast has an active hort therapy association (reach them at info@nehorticulturaltherapy.net) and NY Botanical Garden and NYU have hort therapy programs.

Best to you and your students!

Tracy Calla

• 6.  RE: start up supplies

Posted 10-21-2021 09:18:00 AM
    Thank you so much , I appreciate you getting back to me.. 
     I will reach out to horticulture therapy groups and see what they suggest.
             Be Blessed n safe
           Mr. G 

• 7.  RE: start up supplies

Posted 10-20-2021 04:14:00 PM
    I don't know if it helps, but I use the County Extension offices frequently.  Every state has the system associated with a university.  New York's is associated with Cornell.  Here is a link.  There is also a list of offices, here.  Our county extension offices have quite a few resources as well as some ins on how to get more.  

Walmart, at least here, is fairly easy to work with for getting donations of supplies.  The key is to ask at the beginning of the month and speak directly to a manager.  We have 2 stores near us and one is very supportive, the other not so much.

Rebecca Newsom

• 8.  RE: start up supplies

Posted 10-21-2021 09:20:00 AM
    Thank you so much , I appreciate you getting back to me.. 
     I will reach out to some big stores here in NY.  Maybe Home Depot or Lowe's and see what they suggest.
             Be Blessed n safe
        Mr. G.

• 9.  RE: start up supplies

Posted 10-20-2021 04:17:00 PM
    Forgot!  Don't forget Captain Planet Grants.  I tie my indoor gardening (hydroponic) to our veggie gardens and also to our prarie restoration garden.  One of our goals is ecological stewardship.   Captain Planet

Rebecca Newsom