Growing Together: Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Starting a garden club at a homeschool Co-op

Posted 09-24-2022 06:52:00 PM
    Hi all!

I am a new member, and am in the process of trying to start an elementary school level garden club at our homeschool co-op. The next next semester is a spring semester (January-May)

I am a hobby farmer (plants and animals) and have been teaching animal science at our co-op for some years now. I am looking to expand into botany. 

I don't know what to do or how to start. We meet for 14 weeks, but are renting our location, so doing any form of traditional garden at our location would not be permitted. The group would not be able to meet up outside of our Co-op for an offsite garden...

With these limitations in mind, I would really like to teach them some gardening techniques and plant science, but am lost for ideas. 

Things like flowers, succulents, house plants, garden vegetables and fruits have all run through my fingers, but I am still an amateur. 

Any resources, ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Amber Chapman

• 2.  RE: Starting a garden club at a homeschool Co-op

Posted 09-25-2022 11:13:00 AM
    Starting seeds inside would work January-May.  Maybe the seedlings started  could then go home with the students after they out grow the space?

david henry
    Childhelp
    VA

• 3.  RE: Starting a garden club at a homeschool Co-op

Posted 09-26-2022 09:03:00 AM
    Hi Amber, 

With a small container or tower garden you could teach about herbs -- from seasonings to medicinal to personal hygiene. Or, you could grow lettuces, spinach, kale and teach about leafy greens -- cooking, dyeing, etc. 

Here's a KidsGardening lesson plan for containers with kids.  https://kidsgardening.org/resources/garden-activities-container-gardening-for-kids/
    --
    Michelle Zupan
    Curator 
    Hickory Hill & the Tom Watson Birthplace
    502 Hickory Hill Drive
    Thomson, GA  30824
    706-595-7777
    FAX: 706-595-7177

Visit us at www.hickory-hill.org or on Facebook.
    Follow us on Twitter: HHEducation

Historic homes of the Watson-Brown Foundation, Inc

• 4.  RE: Starting a garden club at a homeschool Co-op

Posted 09-26-2022 03:15:00 PM
    If you have the budget for it I use an AeroFarm system in my classroom.  I have a fairly large one, the 24 Plus Farm.  They are a bit expensive, but I use mine every year, we make salads for the teachers.  Here is a link: AeroGarden: Indoor Gardens, Grow Lights, Seed Kits & More

I also do verma composting in my classroom, the initial start up is under $100 that includes container, worms, and initial bedding.  Along with that my students and I disect soil.  We usually disect soil from a couple of different areas to compare what we find.  We usually end up comparing lawn area and then the school garden.  

As an option, what about nature journals?  There are a lot of resources for those.  You could put your focus on botony.  For example, brining in a wide variety of seeds to compare and process.  Exploring grass.  Germinating seeds in zip lock bags.  

I'm not very creative.

Rebecca Newsom
    Byron MN

• 5.  RE: Starting a garden club at a homeschool Co-op

Posted 09-28-2022 01:42:00 PM
    A few years ago we were int he same boat and could not install permanent gardens at our school. We used several Earthbox containers and they worked really well.  https://earthbox.com/

Anne Baines
    School Farm 2 Fork teacher
    Acworth, GA

• 6.  RE: Starting a garden club at a homeschool Co-op

Posted 09-29-2022 01:03:00 PM
    OH!  What about terrariums?  Small ones.  There are some organizations around that might even be able to provide support in the form of plants, soils, and presentations.

Rebecca Newsom
    Byron MN