Gardening with Kids at Home

View Only
  • 1.  New to the Group- Starting a Garden

Posted 02-25-2022 03:49:00 PM
    hello all,
    I am new to the website and to this group and I want to introduce myself.

My name is George and I'm homeschooling my kids. Our science unit coming up is all about gardening, which I'm super excited about.
    I'm here to learn as much as possible about getting started. We have dead garden boxes and a seed starter kit and even a few germinating sprouts. What do I do next? 

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration!

------------------------------
    George Garcia

• 2.  RE: New to the Group- Starting a Garden

Posted 03-01-2022 12:47:00 PM
    Hi George! Welcome to the Kids Garden Community! There are so many ways you can use the garden to teach about science so this can be a really fun hands-on unit for your kids. Can you let us know where you're located and the age of your kids? This will help us give you a little more specific advice. 

Are you looking for advice on getting started with planting or ideas for how to use the garden to teach science or both?

Amelia Dupuis
    Kids Garden Community Manager
    KidsGardening

• 3.  RE: New to the Group- Starting a Garden

Posted 03-07-2022 07:13:00 PM
    Hi Amelia,

Thank you for your response.  We are in Northern California near Sacramento. I'm looking for both garden starting advice (we have two nutrient-depleted garden boxes) and lessons for my second grader (age 7).

My next job will be to decide what to do with the soil in the box and what brand/type of soil to put in the box.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    George

George Garcia

• 4.  RE: New to the Group- Starting a Garden

Posted 03-08-2022 11:25:00 AM
    Hi George,

Go to a nursery or a big box store, like Lowes/Home Depot, and get Organic Raised Bed Soil. Then find a place that sells or gives away good rotted compost (may be a local farm).  Dump them in the beds and mix well. 

Since you are in N. CA, you will want to start many seeds indoors -- those with a long growing season. Use a seed starting mix of Jiffy pellets.  You need to read your seed packets for the advice on when to start and how deep to plant. Find your Zone:  https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/pages/view-maps

Find your local gardeners group (Master Gardeners are a good place to start) on Facebook, and I do mean LOCAL (within 50 miles), they can give you very specific advice about soil temps, pests, etc in your area.  Also connect with your local Agriculture Extension Agent. 

--
    Michelle Zupan
    Curator 
    Hickory Hill & the Tom Watson Birthplace
    502 Hickory Hill Drive
    Thomson, GA  30824
    706-595-7777
    FAX: 706-595-7177

Visit us at www.hickory-hill.org or on Facebook.
    Follow us on Twitter: HHEducation

Historic homes of the Watson-Brown Foundation, Inc

• 5.  RE: New to the Group- Starting a Garden

Posted 06-19-2022 11:29:00 AM
    Hello green guys

Nice to be with all of the talented and great Fertilizer. Hope we can better build ourselves by sharing each other's green garden working views. I am looking forward to learning from everyone and really sorry for any type of easy asking.

Antoni Watson