Growing Together: Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Garden Signage Conversation

Posted 08-01-2022 12:48:00 PM

Hi all! (Hope this is an alright thing to post here!)

This Wednesday, August 3rd, 10am-12:30pm Pacific time, a group of garden educators in Western Washington are meeting up to discuss garden signage strategies! Options to join either virtually or in-person at Oxbow Farm in Carnation, WA (about 40 mins east of Seattle).

Discussion topics include: Ideas for co-creating signs with students/children; suggested materials for durable outdoor signage; resources and ideas for engaging & culturally responsive designs; failures and successes in our various signage attempts- and anything else that comes up about this topic!

We have a jam-board to share ideas and a Zoom link to join (or let me know if you want to attend in person), just send me (shea@oxbow.org) or Hallie@farmerfrog.org an email if you'd like an invitation. We are planning to keep meeting as a group on a quarterly basis so the next meetup will be this fall, just lettuce know if you want to be kept in the loop!

------------------------------
    SHEA SCRIBNER
    shea@oxbow.org

• 2.  RE: Garden Signage Conversation

Posted 08-02-2022 04:55:00 PM
    I am planning to do new school garden signage and would like to participate in the ZOOM tomorrow. please give instructions on joining. Than you. Marie Land, Manning Early Childhood Center School Garden, Manning SC

marie land

• 3.  RE: Garden Signage Conversation

Posted 08-02-2022 06:21:00 PM
    Hi @marie land, glad you can join us! Here's the info below:

Awesome! Here is the info:

You're invited to the Garden Educator Meet-Up about Signage Strategies!

What: An opportunity for community building, share-outs and discussion about signage strategies, lessons learned, kids signage activities, and tips for success. This is an ongoing network Meet-Up.

Optional for local WA people: Oxbow is hosting a "viewing party" for those that would like to be in-person for this event (connecting as well over Zoom with the larger audience). This option will include a tour of signage on site and sack lunch picnic. Oxbow Address: 10819 Carnation-Duvall Rd NE, Carnation, WA 98014 10am - 12:30pm. RSVP to shea@oxbow.org! Thanks Oxbow!

Where: Zoom, unless you'd like to attend the in-person viewing party!

https://us06web.zoom.us/j/87973054720

When: August 3rd 10am - 11:30am (Pacific Time Zoom)

Your contributions appreciated! Jamboard- https://jamboard.google.com/d/1lUrbblD7l5Yzv4G526Du1BsdZyZIecPsEo-89UzvvvE/edit?usp=sharing

Whether you have strategies and pictures to share, or even signage mistakes that we can learn from, please take over one of the "Strategies" slides on this jamboard to feature your strategies and experience. If relevant, please include an emphasis on strategies for involving kids in making signs Take a look at the titles of the slides for guidance and add resources and photos. Questions or additions are welcome! Feel free to add a slide!

We'll be engaging with this jamboard virtually to have an ongoing discussion so we hope you will be willing to describe your additions.

Accept this invite and feel free to share! (Add to Google Calendar)

We look forward to seeing you soon and hope you're having an awesome summer!

SHEA SCRIBNER

• 4.  RE: Garden Signage Conversation

Posted 08-02-2022 05:06:00 PM
    @SHEA SCRIBNER thank you for sharing this meet-up here! This is a great topic and I hope you'll post about the next fall meeting, too. Will there be a recording you could possibly share on here for folks who are interested or a summary of ideas or inspirational signage images you could post after the meeting?​​​​

Amelia Dupuis
    Kids Garden Community Manager
    KidsGardening

• 5.  RE: Garden Signage Conversation

Posted 08-02-2022 05:14:00 PM
    Hi @Amelia Dupuis (she/her) :) Thanks for the positive response! I will totally share an invite to the fall meetup. We weren't planning on recording the session but there was another request to, so we might do so after all... We do have a Jamboard folks are welcome to check out/contribute to at any time, even if they can't make the meeting! Here's the info on that: 

Your contributions appreciated! Jamboard- https://jamboard.google.com/d/1lUrbblD7l5Yzv4G526Du1BsdZyZIecPsEo-89UzvvvE/edit?usp=sharing

Whether you have strategies and pictures to share, or even signage mistakes that we can learn from, please take over one of the "Strategies" slides on this jamboard to feature your strategies and experience. If relevant, please include an emphasis on strategies for involving kids in making signs Take a look at the titles of the slides for guidance and add resources and photos. Questions or additions are welcome! Feel free to add a slide!

SHEA SCRIBNER

• 6.  RE: Garden Signage Conversation

Posted 08-08-2022 05:44:00 PM
    Edited by Stefan Karg 08-08-2022 05:44:35 PM
    Bummed I missed this, but what a cool group! I would love to be included in the future, and if there is a recording of this past meeting I would love to take a look. I found the jamboard :)

Thank you all!
    Stefan Karg
    Program Manager
    Sprout City Farms
    stefan@sproutcityfarms.org

Stefan Karg

• 7.  RE: Garden Signage Conversation

Posted 07-29-2023 05:42:00 AM
    Edited by jia xiang 07-29-2023 05:43:04 AM

Google Jamboard is a great free online collaboration and whiteboard tool.

I also recommend other online whiteboards like microsoft whiteboard, Miro, Mural, Ziteboard and etc.

jia xiang