Growing Together: Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Rat proof composter?

Posted 05-26-2022 04:25:00 PM
    Hello Everyone,
    Has anyone had any experience with a rat proof composter? We are in an urban setting and we removed our compost bin because rats had found it. Does truly rat proof compost machine exist?
    Thanks for your help!

------------------------------
    Nina Moench
    DIG Childhood Center
    LOS ANGELES CA

• 2.  RE: Rat proof composter?

Posted 05-27-2022 11:27:00 AM
    I like my compost tumbler. We have two different kinds ... rats cannot enter. I do not see my kind online.  Up on metal legs.

Melissa Fannon
    New Life Whitehall

• 3.  RE: Rat proof composter?

Posted 05-27-2022 11:59:00 AM
    Hi Nina,
    I am also in Los Angeles, and my community garden has a 3-bin system built by LA Compost that uses hardware cloth, so rats cannot get in.  You may want to reach out to them at LA Compost.

Also, LA Sanitation offers free composting workshops and then sells worm bins and other composting bins at a discounted rate after the workshops.
    https://www.lacitysan.org/san/faces/home/portal/s-lsh-es/s-lsh-es-fcw

Sean Gustafson

Sean Gustafson

• 4.  RE: Rat proof composter?

Posted 05-27-2022 04:41:00 PM
    Yes, I was also going to suggest a compost tumbler as well. We have 2 of them that we use and have never had any issues with with critters trying to get into them.

Zenaida Flores

• 5.  RE: Rat proof composter?

Posted 06-07-2022 01:24:00 PM
    ive got a couple of square plastic bins , each one is stood on four square paving slabs, the juice drains between the slabs but no rats have got in since the slabs were installeed... i expected them to chew a hole in the plastic , but they havnt.. yet....
    if you do suspect theres one in the heap give it a few vigorous prods with a sharp digging fork :)

Vincent Morton