Growing Together: Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Local plant swaps

Posted 04-27-2022 01:43:00 PM
    Hi gardeners! Wondering if anyone here is involved with or knows about any plant swaps in your area?

I was just remembering that my public library growing up would host a plant swap every May for home gardeners to drop off any "extra" indoor or outdoor plants and take home something new. Last year, my roommate's mom spontaneously set up shop on the side of the road in her neighborhood with all of her extra vegetable and herb starts and people absolutely loved it! 

I thought it would be cool if people could share about any local swaps happening on here in case there are members from your area or to even inspire someone to start one in their neighborhood!

(P.S. If you're interested in swapping seeds, check out the Seed Saving and Exchanging community.)

------------------------------
    Amelia Dupuis
    Kids Garden Community Manager
    KidsGardening

• 2.  RE: Local plant swaps

Posted 04-28-2022 11:07:00 AM
    A great many Master Gardener groups and Native Plant Societies also host plant swaps (and sales with really inexpensive plants).

Michelle Zupan
    Hickory Hill
    THOMSON GA

• 3.  RE: Local plant swaps

Posted 04-28-2022 12:02:00 PM
    Our elementary school has a big butterfly/pollinator garden. In the fall we dig out loads of our native plants to give away to our teachers and families. It's a double win because we tidy up the flower beds and more people in our community are growing native plants!

Whitney Tucker

• 4.  RE: Local plant swaps

Posted 05-02-2022 01:07:00 PM
    In my town, Owasso, OK, we have a Facebook group that hosts plant swaps several times a year.  We just had one last week.  It's a great way to share plants and learn new information about the plants we're trading.

Diana Carey

• 5.  RE: Local plant swaps

Posted 05-03-2022 07:26:00 AM
    Our local garden groups are organizing a plant swap, but wonder if there's much of a risk when people who bring plants to share may have invasive plants that might hitch a ride with the desired perennials. Does anybody have guidelines to share for donors of plants that would address this? I must say, earlier in my gardening adventures I brought home some lovely bearded iris from my sister's community garden in NYC. Although the iris are long gone, their lesser celandine friends are rampant in my yard now.  At first they were a lovely early spot of color, but now they are taking over a couple of areas and difficult to eradicate.  Plant swap guidelines would be helpful to at least have folks be aware of the risks.

Judy Fallows
    School Garden Coordinator
    Watertown Public Schools
    Watertown, MA

• 6.  RE: Local plant swaps

Posted 05-03-2022 08:41:00 AM
    Sadly, that is always going to be a risk.  I brought home a pink muhly grass from a Georgia Native Plant Society sale and it had a lantana in it.  When plants are dormant and die back below ground it can be a challenge to know what might hitch a ride, the same can be said of seeds. I have seen nursery/greenhouse grown plants with oxalis coming up in it.

--
    Michelle Zupan
    Curator 
    Hickory Hill & the Tom Watson Birthplace
    502 Hickory Hill Drive
    Thomson, GA  30824
    706-595-7777
    FAX: 706-595-7177

Visit us at www.hickory-hill.org or on Facebook.
    Follow us on Twitter: HHEducation

Historic homes of the Watson-Brown Foundation, Inc