Growing Together: Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Planning a Garden Lesson Plan for K-5 kids

Posted 03-29-2021 01:00:00 PM
    Hi all,

I am looking for a fun lesson on "Planning your dream garden" to do with elementary school kids.  I am wondering if anyone has done an interactive lesson like this before?  I am looking for a lesson plan that comes with maybe some activity sheets to make the lesson more hands-on.  Anyone have anything like this?

------------------------------
    Marlena Antonucci

• 2.  RE: Planning a Garden Lesson Plan for K-5 kids

Posted 03-30-2021 12:15:00 PM
    Hi Marlena! We have a Garden Planting Calendar activity with links to an interactive resources (Frost Date Finder and Spring Planting Calendar) designed to help inform figuring out planting dates. This activity is definitely more about creating a planting calendar for your dream garden as opposed to supporting an initial brainstorm for a dream garden, so perhaps it's more in-depth or further along in the process than what you were looking for.

Christine Gall
    KidsGardening

• 3.  RE: Planning a Garden Lesson Plan for K-5 kids

Posted 03-30-2021 04:08:00 PM
    Hi Marlena, 

I recently did an activity with Kindergarten where we dreamed about our spring garden back when it was colder. I printed a garden bed outline and gave each kid a seed catalog. They went through and cut out the fruits, vegetables, and flowers they wanted to grow in our spring garden! I collected their collages and made a poster highlighting their work. I've attached photo examples of the activity. 

Also attached are two FoodCorps lessons that focus on seasonal food wheels and researching crop lessons - these could get into planning based on the season.

Alissa Haskins

Attachment(s)