Growing Together: Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Grant Money

• 1.  Grant Money

Posted 02-15-2022 05:53:00 PM
    Hello all,
       I wrote and was awarded a 2,000 grant for our school garden.  We really need a fence, however all quotes were way over since the fence has to be chain-link.   I m attaching pictures of our garden.  I lead the Garden Club at school.  We started the garden last year.  Any ideas of what we can do to our space will be deeply appreciated.  We have plans to extend the garden another 50 to 100 feet. We are adding 3 to 4 more beds.  The project must be completed and all the money spent by December 2022.  Thank you again in advance.

Best regards,
    Cynthia Arceneaux

------------------------------
    Cynthia Arceneaux
    Science teacher
    Cedar Hill, Texas 75104

• 2.  RE: Grant Money

Posted 02-16-2022 11:22:00 AM

This looks incredible! Yes, chain-linked fencing is expensive! Is there anyway the school can help with the cost of that?
    I would suggest more pollinator plants maybe even a fruit tree? Compost bins are pretty incredible and easy to make too! Maybe the kids can create some art pieces for the space as well?

Marrina Lunas

• 3.  RE: Grant Money

Posted 02-16-2022 11:31:00 AM
    You have a beautiful garden space, and what a bummer to hear about the fence! Have you thought about some benches or picnic tables? Those features could transform the garden space into an outdoor classroom.

Do you have a place to safely store the garden tools? Would a small shed be a useful addition to the space?

Sarah Lane
    KidsGardening

• 4.  RE: Grant Money

Posted 02-16-2022 03:34:00 PM
    All great ideas!  we planned on seating area for classes and definitely a picnic table.  We have a small classroom where are tools are.  Inside the building. I am not sure if a shed would be secure.  We have battled small incidences of vandalism.  Thank you for the great ideas.

Cynthia Arceneaux
    Science teacher
    Cedar Hill, Texas 75104

• 5.  RE: Grant Money

Posted 02-16-2022 03:00:00 PM
      |   view attached
    Hello, 
     we also already have one compost bin and two rain barrels.

Cynthia Arceneaux
    Science teacher
    Cedar Hill, Texas 75104

• 6.  RE: Grant Money

Posted 02-16-2022 03:01:00 PM
    Oh and thank you!!

Cynthia Arceneaux
    Science teacher
    Cedar Hill, Texas 75104

• 7.  RE: Grant Money

Posted 02-16-2022 03:32:00 PM
    Thank you!  It's my pride and joy.

Cynthia Arceneaux
    Science teacher
    Cedar Hill, Texas 75104

• 8.  RE: Grant Money

Posted 02-16-2022 11:35:00 AM
    Hi Cynthia,
    Congratulations on your grant!
    I suggest getting in touch with your local Eagle Scouts, they might be able to help you with your fencing project.
    Also there might be a local fencing company that would be willing to give you a large discount on the work in exchange for signage in your garden and acknowledgment in your school newsletter.
    Big box stores are usually willing to donate materials as well.

• 9.  RE: Grant Money

Posted 02-16-2022 03:38:00 PM
    Great idea about the Eagle Scouts.  I will definitely check that out.  I had contacted every company I could find.  Most will not reply.  I have had a couple bids all over priced. 4,200 for 100x50 ft two sided fence.

Cynthia Arceneaux
    Science teacher
    Cedar Hill, Texas 75104

• 10.  RE: Grant Money

Posted 02-16-2022 11:47:00 AM
    Is there a High school woods class, welding class? We have had given projects like this to them and connected with the local Township.  The students made a wood fence with donated wood from an old barn from the township fair grounds. If you wanted to open it up to the community in the summer time, there should be local stackholders who might help purchase and install fencing in the prospects that it would be utilized by families. Also connect with local Extension programs or SNAP-Ed programming if your school has 50% or more free/reduced lunch population. They can help fund programming and such.

Paula Finfrock

• 11.  RE: Grant Money

Posted 02-16-2022 11:03:00 PM
    Great idea, however I don't think we are ready to have our campus open to the community.  I am hoping to convert it into an outdoor classroom.

Cynthia Arceneaux
    Science teacher
    Cedar Hill, Texas 75104

• 12.  RE: Grant Money

Posted 02-16-2022 11:55:00 AM
    Can you talk to your local boy scout troops? Perhaps there is a component of your project that could be undertaken as an Eagle Scout project and thereby reducing your overall costs to the point that you can afford to do it all?

Patricia Nicoll
    Saint Mary's Hall
    SAN ANTONIO TX

• 13.  RE: Grant Money

Posted 02-16-2022 11:59:00 AM
    Congrats on the grant! I might think about pricing out the fencing directly through a store front and consider installing it yourself or through your school's maintenance department. I'm sure some YouTube videos will give you the skills that you need and concrete mixing isn't too hard. Just be sure you get the area surveyed for underground wiring first! DIY should get you under price.

Nathan Sekinger

• 14.  RE: Grant Money

Posted 02-16-2022 12:04:00 PM
    Beautiful garden!

Does your fence have to be chain link specifically, or just something that can be seen through (i.e., not a privacy fence)? A chain link fence will not keep out some garden pests, like rabbits. I got a fence for my home garden from this site below. It has been AWESOME at keeping out rabbits, groundhogs, etc. and wasn't too expensive. It looks nice, and it's sturdy too. 

https://www.critterfence.com/garden-fence

Shannon Saia

• 15.  RE: Grant Money

Posted 02-16-2022 11:25:00 PM
    Thank you!

Cynthia Arceneaux
    Science teacher
    Cedar Hill, Texas 75104

• 16.  RE: Grant Money

Posted 02-16-2022 03:22:00 PM
    Hi Cynthia!

We used 1/2 inch galvanized hardware cloth for the key garden we put in at home, it's like chicken wire fencing but sturdier. It might fit your budget easier. Here's a link to the Home Depot product we bought: homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-2-in-x-3-ft-x-25-ft-19-Gauge-Galvanized-Hardware-Cloth-308225EB/205960848

TLC (Tracey) Nielsen
    Grayslake Community HS District 127
    Grayslake IL

• 17.  RE: Grant Money

Posted 02-17-2022 12:09:00 AM
    Does it have to be chain link?  Look up "hog panel fence diy" if you can find some handy volunteers.

Shelley Hamilton

• 18.  RE: Grant Money

Posted 02-17-2022 06:23:00 AM
    Yes, it has to be chain-link per the district.  I will look into this....thank you so much.

Cynthia Arceneaux
    Science teacher
    Cedar Hill, Texas 75104

• 19.  RE: Grant Money

Posted 02-17-2022 11:47:00 AM
    First, congratulations on your grant award! Schools generally want cyclone fencing for durability. Put it up one time and one time only! Within the fence however, you could add some other "fencing features" to make it look less sterile. We use pallets and natural materials. Here are a few pictures of our Ladybug Garden. You can see our chain link fence in the background but we do what we can to cover it naturally! Good luck on your project!

Barb McCullough-Jones

• 20.  RE: Grant Money

Posted 02-17-2022 11:56:00 AM
    Wow, Barb. Love the use of the pallets!

TLC (Tracey) Nielsen
    Grayslake Community HS District 127
    Grayslake IL

• 21.  RE: Grant Money

Posted 02-17-2022 12:19:00 PM
    What a beautiful garden.

Cynthia Arceneaux
    Science teacher
    Cedar Hill, Texas 75104

• 22.  RE: Grant Money

Posted 02-17-2022 01:54:00 PM
    If I might, I would recommend a shed for tools or possibly a raised bed that is high enough for students who are in wheelchairs - or adults like me who've reached the age where kneeling (or getting up from kneeling) is a challenge.

I've always wanted to add one of these to our garden:
    image.png

The website is: https://eartheasy.com/

Another idea is to reach out to your local high school or community college and see if they can provide labor if you provide supplies.  Our highschool woodworking class built our shed.

• 23.  RE: Grant Money

Posted 02-17-2022 08:36:00 PM
    Great idea, Thank you.

Cynthia Arceneaux
    Science teacher
    Cedar Hill, Texas 75104

• 24.  RE: Grant Money

Posted 02-18-2022 11:35:00 AM
    A lot of ideas here!  Only thing I would add is to possibly do a school newsletter or social media ask for anyone getting rid of chain link fencing specific to the size you need.   We often find and reuse materials that are headed for the dump or scrap.  Keep up the good work!

Tobin Krell
    Homestead 1839
    WEST BURLINGTON IA