Growing Together: Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Greenhouse

Posted 02-24-2022 11:36:00 AM
    Good morning !!!!! 

I have a question and hoping you can help me!  We, at Sleepy Eye Public, have a greenhouse, a big greenhouse.  The problem is it has not been used for years and years.  I was approved to hire a professional to come and look at the greenhouse and let me know what needs to be done to get it back up and running!!!  i would love to get this running again, but need some help.  Also, are there grants out there that can help to get it up and running???

Thank you in advance!

Christi Gemmill
    Sleepy Eye Public School
    Food Service Director 

• 2.  RE: Greenhouse

Posted 02-25-2022 11:13:00 AM
    Edited by Danielle Tipton 02-25-2022 11:34:49 AM
    Good morning,

I also inherited a solar greenhouse. We applied for Lowe's Hometown Heroes. I was not involved with that grant as I was just coming onboard with the gardens. Lowe's Hardware employees actually came out and worked on our greenhouse. It was pretty incredible. I think there is a Whole Kids Garden Grant open now that could help.

**Edit** I contacted the previous garden lead, who applied for grant. She linked me to the Lowe's Foundation site which states they do not have an open application anymore. So sorry!
    ------------------------------
    Danielle Tipton
    Watauga County Schools
    Boone NC

• 3.  RE: Greenhouse

Posted 02-25-2022 12:59:00 PM
    Hi christi
    I might first reach out to your county extension office. They may have somebody on their horticulture staff who works in greenhouse management and technology who can offer advice, or they may know someone who can work with you.  

The colleges and universities in your area who offer horticulture / agriculture courses may also have advanced students (speaking as one of these people, horticulture and agriculture students are often people who have worked professionally in the industry but have gone back to school for a credential) or adjunct faculty who might be willing to consult with you. Maybe you can post something on their bulletin board.

Tracy Calla

• 4.  RE: Greenhouse

Posted 02-25-2022 02:23:00 PM
    Hello! I just came across this garden grant... hope it helps and good luck!
    Whole Kids Foundation | Garden Grant Program

Ninette Warner
    Cornell Cooperative Extension
    Kingston NY

• 5.  RE: Greenhouse

Posted 02-26-2022 11:43:00 AM
    Thank you!!!

Cynthia Arceneaux
    Science teacher
    Cedar Hill, Texas 75104

• 6.  RE: Greenhouse

Posted 02-26-2022 03:37:00 PM
    Hey y'all!

Does anybody have any suggestions for purchasing a greenhouse? One that is big enough to support seed starting and education for an urban farm, and sturdy enough to stand up to varying weather conditions. We are located in Newark, NJ. We bought a $2500 one from Palram and it fell down after a bit of wind. We have a 8ft by 20ft concrete slab put in. Any insight would be very helpful.

Appreciated,
    Shannon Murphy
    Assistant Farm Manager
    Hawthorne Ave Farm, Newark, NJ

Shannon Murphy