Growing Together: Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Questions for Starting New School Garden and Seedballs

• 1.  Questions for Starting New School Garden and Seedballs

Posted 08-02-2021 01:26:00 AM
    Hello. I am a high school student from Fremont, CA and we are starting school gardens (Monarch Waystation) at our local elementary and high schools. We are planning to do both conventional planting methods and Seedballs.

I am just wondering if there is anybody that has experience with Seedballs and would be willing to share those experiences with me. Also, I am wondering if anybody has tips for starting a fundraiser for our projects.

Thanks.

------------------------------
    Wesley Chen

• 2.  RE: Questions for Starting New School Garden and Seedballs

Posted 08-02-2021 11:16:00 AM
    Hi Wesley,

We do seed bombs every year with our Eco Summer Campers.  They are super easy, super messy and actually do really well. 
    Are you familiar with the Guerilla Gardener? Seed bombs are how a great deal of vacant lots were claimed as both pollinator habitat and vegetable gardens in London and NYC. 

We use dry clay powder (available from your local pottery supply house), organic potting soil, water, and seeds (flower, veggie, or herb). The ratio we use is 5 parts clay to 2 parts soil, 1 part seed and 2 parts water.  That will make several seed bombs. We allow them to try on cardboard trays for 48 hours (but it's humid here, so it may dry more quickly where you are.).  

Campers have  reported back that they had flowers come up in their grandma's pasture, the dirt patch at school, and various other locations where they have been "deployed."

Best of luck. 

--
    Michelle Zupan
    Curator 
    Hickory Hill & the Tom Watson Birthplace
    502 Hickory Hill Drive
    Thomson, GA  30824
    706-595-7777
    FAX: 706-595-7177

Visit us at www.hickory-hill.org or on Facebook.
    Follow us on Twitter: HHEducation

Historic homes of the Watson-Brown Foundation, Inc

• 3.  RE: Questions for Starting New School Garden and Seedballs

Posted 08-02-2021 05:49:00 PM
    Hello Michelle, 

Thanks for all the help. We have also been experimenting with different combinations for our Seedballs and we got about 60% germination on one of our variations. Is that considered to be good for seedballs? 

Also, I am curious about your opinions on the viability of using seedballs not just for gardening but also for large-scale reforestation. I am part of a student-led environmental nonprofit called Beyond Terra and in total we have 16.5 acres of land for our projects (includes schools and wildlife conservancy), but recently we have talked to many environmentalists and some are against using seedballs for large-scale reforestation. 

Thanks, 
    Wesley

Wesley Chen

• 4.  RE: Questions for Starting New School Garden and Seedballs

Posted 08-03-2021 08:57:00 AM
    Hi Wesley, 

60% germination is pretty good.  Part of the success with seed bombs is in choosing seeds that are right for the type of circumstances.  Some seeds, like milkweed, required cold stratification to sprout.  Others need darkness. Some need scarification. So, knowing the seed's preference helps up the success rate. 

Forests are a tricky thing.  First, because trees don't grow quite like flowers or vegetables -- they take some babying and often very special circumstances to get them to sprout.  Second, forest succession is a real thing.  In a burned over area, for example, the first plants back are shrubs, then the first trees back are those with windblown seed, usually soft wood like cottonwood trees. Then come the pines and spruce. And, finally, the hardwoods. So, trying to mimic a healthy forest re-growth is a 200 year process to do it right. 

--
    Michelle
    Curator 
    502 Hickory Hill Drive
    Thomson, GA  30824
    706-595-7777

• 5.  RE: Questions for Starting New School Garden and Seedballs

Posted 08-03-2021 02:13:00 PM
    Hello Michelle,

Thanks for responding to my messages. It is really awesome to see that something like KidsGardening Community exists to answer our questions. In the past, we have been cold emailing professors for many of our questions which had very inconsistent results. 

But on the topic of reforestation, the reason I asked was because our engineering team has been developing drones to drop seedballs for large-scale aerial reforestation purposes. Many tech clubs from colleges and high schools and even Cal Fire have expressed interest in our project, but at the same time we have seen pushback from many environmentalists. They are very much skeptical and against the idea of using drones to remotely plant/drop seedballs. Some even argue that large-scale reforestation is not only impractical, but also gets in the way of natural forest fire succession and could do more harm than good. Personally, I feel like both sides has a valid argument, but I am also curious about your opinions on our project and if there even is a correct answer to this issue. 

Thanks, 
    Wesley

Wesley Chen

• 6.  RE: Questions for Starting New School Garden and Seedballs

Posted 08-03-2021 02:26:00 PM
    Hello Wesley,

You're probably on the right track in that there is not a *right* answer to the situation.  CalFire would be interested because it will hold the hillsides in place when heavy rains come after a burn.  

This is my experience from having grown up in Colorado which burns as often as California. The soils on burn scars are almost glasslike -- they kind of repel water.  So, seeds that do well in a burned over area tend to not be trees.  I would think that a drone delivery of native xeric shrub, grass, and wildflower species might be more successful initially.  
    Boy Scouts often do reforestation projects too. They could come in after the native grasses and shrubs have, literally, broken up the burned soils and plant native trees.   I would also heavily emphasize the use of natives.  Those will be the species most adapted to the ecology of the area. 

--
    Michelle Zupan
    Curator 
    502 Hickory Hill Drive
    Thomson, GA  30824
    706-595-7777

• 7.  RE: Questions for Starting New School Garden and Seedballs

Posted 08-03-2021 02:57:00 PM
    Hello Michelle, 

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely pass the information back to my team.

Planting natives that are specifically fire resistant has actually been an idea that has been brought up in our team. In fact, our current Seedballs are designed for natives species (specifically for our Monarch Butterfly Gardens) so we haven't actually began experimenting with trees yet.

Wesley Chen

• 8.  RE: Questions for Starting New School Garden and Seedballs

Posted 08-03-2021 01:00:00 PM

Hi Wesley, 

Your question on reforestation made me think of a high school student who led a reforestation project by starting acorn seedlings. It was really cool! I thought I'd share in case it sparked some other ideas for you and your organization. 

https://kidsgardening.org/program-spotlights-project-climate-club/

Cheers, 
    Beth

Beth Saunders
    Director of Marketing & Communications
    KidsGardening

• 9.  RE: Questions for Starting New School Garden and Seedballs

Posted 08-03-2021 01:56:00 PM
    Hello Beth, 

It is really awesome to see so many other high school students around our area to be leading environmental projects. It is also quite interesting to see how the past few California wildfires has really inspired many of us students to start projects. I think being able to visibly see the sky turning dark orange due to all the smoke and the fact that many of the schools (including ours) were briefly shutdown due to the wildfires really brought awareness to the issue for us students and also on a much more personal level in a way that a textbook would never be able to demonstrate. 

On a side note, I would also like to ask if its possible to submit the letter of support and additional pictures for the little seeds pollinators pals grant after we have already submitted and it is already past the deadline. Our faculty advisor at Ardenwood Elementary was not able to finish the letter in time...

Wesley Chen

• 10.  RE: Questions for Starting New School Garden and Seedballs

Posted 08-03-2021 02:33:00 PM
    Hi Wesley,

Unfortunately, due to the volume of applications we receive we do not accept late application materials.

Best,
    Christine

Christine Gall
    KidsGardening

• 11.  RE: Questions for Starting New School Garden and Seedballs

Posted 08-03-2021 03:07:00 PM
    Hello Christine, 

No worries, it was also a time management issue on our part. For many of us high school students its our first time writing a grant so we are somewhat inexperienced. I also probably could have coordinated the team better. But regardless, the Kids Gardening Community forum has already been really helpful for us. 

Thanks, 
    Wesley

Wesley Chen