Growing Together: Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  DIY Gardening Journals

Posted 02-03-2022 02:42:00 PM
    Hi,

I would like my 3rd graders to make their own gardening journals with a nice cover. Any links or suggestions?

Thanks,
    Ziva

------------------------------
    ziva santop

• 2.  RE: DIY Gardening Journals

Posted 02-03-2022 03:21:00 PM
    I found this one.
    https://www.sunnydayfamily.com/2020/04/free-printable-garden-journal-for-kids.html

Susan Pearl-Weese

• 3.  RE: DIY Gardening Journals

Posted 02-04-2022 11:26:00 AM
    We did journals last summer and to keep the cost down, I used folders with prongs and filled them with filler paper.  A little work for you, but definitely cheaper.  We used plastic folders, but if you use paper folders, they could decorate the cover how they wanted.

Amy Short
    Dallas County Health Department
    Adel IA

• 4.  RE: DIY Gardening Journals

Posted 02-04-2022 01:20:00 PM

We are in the process of making small booklets for our first graders. We are using seed packs for  the front and the back of the booklet and two pages of regular printing paper. This gives the students 14 pages to write or draw on.  The seed packets provide wonderful information for the students which includes math (depth and spacing,) and some have a map of the US for geography. The student can decorate the covers and put their names on them as well. Hope this helps!

Louann Martin

• 5.  RE: DIY Gardening Journals

Posted 02-05-2022 12:28:00 PM
    When I directed a summer camp, we made inexpensive journals with 3 kinds of filler paper: lined, graph, and plain copy paper. Some kids had definite preferences and some liked to have options for different tasks, such as writing, sketching etc. The covers were made from the cardboard  backing that comes in boxes of printed materials. You can use corrugated cardboard, too, which is super easy to source.
    We would adorn the covers with either the kids own artwork, nature prints, or pressed leaves & flowers. The latter we'd "laminate" with packaging tape.

Tracy Calla