Growing Together: Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Greenhouses?

Posted 05-26-2021 01:44:00 PM
    Sooooo, the garden educator before me received a grant for the school garden which included a greenhouse.     I am now looking into the effectiveness of greenhouses in school settings.

We are in Texas with LOTS of hot, hot days and I have space in both the shade and sun for a greenhouse.

I'd love to hear how you use your greenhouse (or don't use it) and what type/brand you would suggest if you love yours!

Many thanks in advance!

Anne Santana
    Fort Worth, Tx

------------------------------
    Anne Santana

• 2.  RE: Greenhouses?

Posted 05-26-2021 03:07:00 PM
    Hi Anne,

The middle school that backs up to our property has a pretty modest greenhouse. Georgia has lots of hot too!  They use it a ton for the FFA and forestry programs.  Over the winter it would be a great way for the kids to grow veggies and flowers and not have to worry about the danger of frost.  In the summer you can just shut things down.  It can be a more practical extension of the school garden.  When we were working on garden programs with the special needs school, we tried to get the middle school to let us use the greenhouse and they wouldn't, so I built cold frames. The kids loved picking lettuce in January! 
    Greenhouses are both more expensive and more durable than hoop houses.  Given the wind y'all get on the Plains, a greenhouse would be more practical. 

Best of luck,

Michelle Zupan
    Hickory Hill
    THOMSON GA

• 3.  RE: Greenhouses?

Posted 05-27-2021 11:31:00 AM
    Hi Anne,

I am retired now but for 12 years I was advisor to a gardening club in a middle school in upstate New York.  I was a social worker in that school and used the club, gardeners, and greenhouse in my work with children.  The greenhouse was a terrific asset in the North east and allowed us to garden from September to May when we closed the greenhouse due to heat and due to children being involved in end of the year testing.  However, greenhouse can continue in hot climates with black cloth draping or painting.  Our greenhouse had a huge fan for air circulation  and a heater for winter as well.

I would suggest contacting your cooperative Extension office in your area for advise on the  type of greenhouse and the costs. They may also be a source of volunteers from any master gardener programs also.

From September to December, we transplanted  several hundred poinsettia plugs and at maturity sold them to the public( children got one free).  Placement of the greenhouse away from night light sources its important to poinsettias coloring properly as they need 1 hours of light and 12 hours of dark.  We had to keep the upstairs library windows shaded at night;-)
    In the winter, we grew herbs and forced bulbs.  In early spring we planted garden vegetables and flowers from seed, transplanted and sold them to the public and school students just before mothers day.  Students  cleaned and recycled pots, learned how to advertise, how to sell and handle finances, and decided on reinvestment of the profits in gardens that surrounded our school.   Other academic disciplines interfaced with the club and the greenhouse; math art, science, history, reading.     I started each club meeting with a story, a book, or a game about gardening that also had a positive theme about life. We harvested seeds for the following year, had things donated from local businesses and families, and involved all grade levels(5-8) and all abilities in the club.    The greenhouse also housed a grief garden where children could adopt a plant, care for it, come for conversation or quiet time, and take the plant home at the end of the year.   Indoor plants were distributed to classrooms and cared for by club members or a class volunteer.

We had many positive experiences with our greenhouse. If you have questions, let me know.

Helen Dohn