Growing Together: Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Garden Summer Camps

• 1.  Garden Summer Camps

Posted 02-10-2022 11:55:00 PM

Hi there,

I work with school gardens in high-poverty urban communities and we're looking at doing a summer camp for the first time. 

Does anyone have any tips, suggestions, etc?

Thank you,

Christina Abuelo
    Barrio Botany
    San Diego, CA

------------------------------
    Christina Abuelo
    Garden Coordinator
    Barrio Botany
    San Diego, CA

m: 858-210-2628

• 2.  RE: Garden Summer Camps

Posted 02-11-2022 12:04:00 PM
    Hi Christina,

You can find a webinar we shared on school garden summer camps here https://www.sgsonetwork.org/summer-camp-programs-at-school-gardens-farms/

Here you can find the camps we offer at Life Lab. There is a sample schedule of our two week garden/farm camp posted on the page.

• 3.  RE: Garden Summer Camps

Posted 02-17-2022 10:16:00 PM
    John, I watched the webinar twice, it was so awesome.  It was full of good information and ideas.  It encouraged me to try to put together a summer garden camp this summer for middle school students. Thanks

Beverly

Beverly Morgan

• 4.  RE: Garden Summer Camps

Posted 02-11-2022 12:05:00 PM
    Hi Christina...last summer I did a one-hour Wednesday "In the Garden" with summer camp kids at our church's 6-week daycamp.  They each had folders (I believe we had 26 children, though they did not all show up each time) in which they kept their projects.  We did chia-seed "heads" in solo cups, flower pounding, scavenger hunt for certain bugs and weeds, pollinator book, etc.  I began each of the six classes with some garden jokes. See attached.  Have fun!

Melissa Fannon

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Bugs.pdf   976 KB 1 version
    pdf
    You are the garden.pdf   19 KB 1 version
    pdf
    flowerpounding.pdf   41 KB 1 version
    pdf
    Weeds.pdf   2.34 MB 1 version
    pdf
    pollinator_activity_book.pdf   1.47 MB 1 version

• 5.  RE: Garden Summer Camps

Posted 02-12-2022 12:10:00 PM
    Melissa,

Thank you for these great ideas.  We have a children's garden in Spooner WI where we do six sessions during the Summer.  Your handouts have given me some inspiration to update our lesson plans.

Roseann, Master Gardener
    North Country Master Gardener Volunteers

Roseann Meixelsperger
    North Country Master Gardeners
    Shell Lake WI

• 6.  RE: Garden Summer Camps

Posted 02-13-2022 09:42:00 AM
    Glad to hear it!

Melissa Fannon
    New Life Church
    Whitehall, Ohio

• 7.  RE: Garden Summer Camps

Posted 02-13-2022 09:44:00 AM
    I forgot to mention we also planned and planted a 4x4 square foot raised bed garden in our community garden, and we made Stepping Stones from kits, for the kids to take home.

Melissa 

• 8.  RE: Garden Summer Camps

Posted 02-13-2022 10:02:00 AM
    Thanks! 

We have a 4x4 square foot garden the kids could plant. Since these kids make most of our sessions, I could have them put their first name on a plant marker to show their adopted plant, and they can watch the growth over the season. At season end, they can taste what they planted.

Roseann

• 9.  RE: Garden Summer Camps

Posted 02-13-2022 11:29:00 AM

@Melissa
    Garden Stakeholder project:
    we have Students write their 1st name on a wood stake (size: paint stir stick or 12 in. Ruler)
    On the other side of the stake, students write the common name & Scientific name of their adopted plant.  They decorate the stake with colored markers/paint/jewels/buttons…
    Stakes may need a weatherproof varnish.
    Once placed in the garden next to their plant, student becomes a "stakeholder" & loves watering & nurturing their plant to grow.  Remember to plant marigolds around veggies for a natural insect pest control & some additional beauty.  

Mary Anne Rishebarger 
    Monarch Sister Schools Program 
    maryanne@MonarchSisterSchools.org.  410-599-2860
    Baltimore, MD

Mary Anne Rishebarger
    Natural Partners/Monarch Sister Schools Program
    Baltimore MD

• 10.  RE: Garden Summer Camps

Posted 02-11-2022 12:10:00 PM
    Christina, last summer I was the coordinator for something similar. Every day, in the morning each class did a garden walk to observe, regulate, take measurements, taste freshly ripened foods, look for different bugs, watch the bees, etc. In class, teachers taught content using garden concepts, and each student made their own Kratky hydroponic system using a mason jar. Kratky is the cheapest, least complicated growing method. Each class also had a trey to start seeds and we used our seed library to give students options. Finally, each class or group was given a pickling/fermentation demonstration and one thing to pickle - cucumbers, watermelon rinds, eggs, radishes, carrots, etc. At the end of our program (4 weeks) we had a pickled feast where everyone got to try different pickled food. Each class also had to present their lessons, learnings, and ideas to two other classes.

The kids were really engaged, teachers loved it, and everyone was able to take home a plant.

Ben Curtiss

• 11.  RE: Garden Summer Camps

Posted 02-14-2022 03:08:00 PM
    I would love to hear specifics for how each kid had their own Kratky plant going.  Did you have a line of mason jars?  Or have them on a table?   What plants did you grow and what did you feed the plants and how often?

Camille Walker

• 12.  RE: Garden Summer Camps

Posted 02-15-2022 02:07:00 PM
    For the Kratky we used a 32 ounce mason jar, put a thin strip of tape down the jar long ways, and spray painted each jar with black chalkboard paint to block the sun. Then peel the tape off, so you can see the water level. Use 1 net cup 2 inch I think, and a medium like rock wool or the different seedling starter peat plugs. Start the seedlings in a seed starter tray. For nutrients I swear by Masterblend, 2 teaspoons of each nute per 5 gallons, directions are right on the bags when you order. 

We let the kids choose their crop, but in general - miniature (determinate cherry tomatoes Tiny Tims), mint, basil, oregano, lettuces, spinach, any greens or herbs, and wildflowers. We set ours on the windowsills, but we are in AZ, so in the summer everything gets cooked. Adjust as needed for your zone.

Ben Curtiss

• 13.  RE: Garden Summer Camps

Posted 02-15-2022 10:29:00 PM
    Thank you so much for that awesome reply!!!

Camille Walker
    Elementary school garden