Growing Together: Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Recommendations for arts curriculum for school gardens

Posted 01-12-2022 11:44:00 AM
    Hi there!

I'm wondering whether any of you have recommendations for high-quality, engaging garden-based arts curriculum and/or lesson plans.

Any ideas you have would be appreciated.

Thanks so much,
    Em

------------------------------
    Em Shipman
    Executive Director
    KidsGardening

• 2.  RE: Recommendations for arts curriculum for school gardens

Posted 01-12-2022 12:07:00 PM
    This is not a lesson plan, exactly, but I love it (click on link). An art teacher would know which supplies would work best (type of paper, brush, and paint/watercolor): http://dolvinartknight.blogspot.com/2012/10/watercolor-vegetables-miroco-machiko.html 
    --Rachel

Rachel Heckscher
    Piney Branch Elementary School/ Montgomery County Public Schools (Maryland)

• 3.  RE: Recommendations for arts curriculum for school gardens

Posted 01-12-2022 01:23:00 PM
    Oh, wow! Thank you, Rachel. Such a fun and gorgeous project.

Em Shipman
    Executive Director
    KidsGardening

• 4.  RE: Recommendations for arts curriculum for school gardens

Posted 01-13-2022 10:29:00 AM
    Here are some art projects we have done over the years:

-Nature mandalas - Students use sticks, rocks, flowers, etc to create a mandala on a paper plate after I show them examples of mandalas.
    -Nature self-portraits - Students use sticks, rocks, flowers, etc to create their self-portrait on a sheet of paper. We make an example for them to reference.
    -Leaf botanical drawings (Students receive a leaf that has been cut in half. They glue it to a sheet of paper and draw the other half of the leaf.)
    -Chlorophyl painting We use leaves for the tree's canopy and flower petals to make "fruit."
    -Advertisements for Fruits and Vegetables - Students create "ads" promoting a fruit or vegetable of their choice.
    -Flower leis - We do this in the spring with old fishing line. I bring branches of blooming flowers. Very popular.
    -Seed skulls - For Day of the Dead, we make skulls out of clay and soil by pressing them into molds. Students then use seeds to decorate them.
    Day of the Dead Seed Skulls

Students make a mandala out of natural objects

Christina Abuelo
    Garden Coordinator
    Barrio Botany
    San Diego, CA

m: 858-210-2628

• 5.  RE: Recommendations for arts curriculum for school gardens

Posted 01-13-2022 10:38:00 AM
    I am a big proponent of nature journaling for many reasons.  Here are some of the resources that I use when developing my nature journaling program.  I use the one at John Muir Laws the most.  I use the free electronic version and all of its supports.