Growing Together: Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Garden Group Agreements

Posted 02-28-2022 02:03:00 PM
    Hi there,

I am working on creating visual signage for Garden Agreements. Each new group that comes into the garden, we will go over the Garden Agreements and add, edit, contribute to make sure they are actually co-created community agreements. But I would like to have visual signage that lives semi-permanently in the garden of these agreements. I'm wondering if anyone has examples of Garden Agreements teased down for signage that is open-ended enough to allow for growth and youth input while also being a focused visual tool for learners who need that! 

Our Children's Garden agreements are as follows: 

• The Children's Garden is a place of peace and calm for many people and beings. I will contribute to that peace by being aware of how I treat others, the garden, and any beings I find in the garden. 

• My fellow gardeners and I are in this together. For that reason, it's important I stay with my group.

• I respect nature and honor it by being gentle and remembering that as a gardener, I have a great responsibility to the plants I help grow. I will be safe with the tools provided to me, and follow the instructions as given by my counselors. While I know that I can run free in the meadow, I will move my body gently and slowly while in the garden. I will respect trees' space, and will not climb or swing from trees. 

• Gardening helps me connect with the earth. To help me stay connected, I will leave all electronics at home or turned off in my backpack.

• When I have a question or do not understand, I get curious! By asking questions and practicing respect in the garden, I get to have new and exciting gardening experiences.

The idea is to keep these agreements longer to discuss, but cut significantly for the visual. Any thoughts, feedback, or examples of what yours look like would be awesome! I'm sure for every garden it is different, so it'll be fun to see the many iterations.

Warmly,

Mallory Muya
    She, Her, Hers
    Queens Botanical Garden 

------------------------------
    Mallory Muya
    Queens Botanical Garden
    Bronx NY
    ------------------------------