Growing Together: Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  woodland animal homes worksheet

Posted 05-03-2022 05:34:00 PM
    Hello educators!

I am doing a lesson on birds and animals for a parent-child farm class (kids are ages 1-5) and am looking for some kind of cut-and-paste activity that would allow them to match different kinds of animals found in the woodland/forest (northeastern US temperate!) with their homes.  So for example images of birds/bird nests, squirrel/squirrel nest/tree hole, rabbits/burrows, beavers/den, frogs/water, toads/tree logs, etc. The activity needs to require no more than 2 sheets of paper, so I am imagining one sheet of the homes, then a second of the animals, which could be cut up and pasted onto their matches on the homes sheet. I could probably create this myself by dumping images into word docs.... but I am having trouble finding images of the forest animal homes. Any suggestions for specific ones or where to look? TIA!

------------------------------
    cathy Hartenstein
    Cunniff Elementary School and Peapod Garden and Nature Education
    watertown ma

• 2.  RE: woodland animal homes worksheet

Posted 05-04-2022 01:46:00 PM
    Hi Cathy,

Have you tried your state Department of Natural Resources website? They probably have an education page with resources. Audubon will have nest images for birds.  
    Remember, frogs don't live in the water after they pass froglet stage, they live near water in muddy soils, and lay their eggs in the water. Toads don't just live in logs, they are in leaves and soil. 
    A squirrel nest is called a "dray", so use that term in your search. 

--
    Michelle Zupan
    Curator 
    Hickory Hill & the Tom Watson Birthplace
    502 Hickory Hill Drive
    Thomson, GA  30824
    706-595-7777
    FAX: 706-595-7177

Visit us at www.hickory-hill.org or on Facebook.
    Follow us on Twitter: HHEducation

Historic homes of the Watson-Brown Foundation, Inc

• 3.  RE: woodland animal homes worksheet

Posted 05-05-2022 11:18:00 AM
    Our county Parks & Natural Resources Department does lots of programming and yours may as well. They could have just what you need!

Diane Ingram