Growing Together: Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Favorite Gardening Videos/Virtual Field Trips

Posted 03-24-2021 02:28:00 PM
    Hi ya'll!

I've been teaching virtual garden lessons for the last year and am always looking for more material. I'm wondering if anyone has favorite gardening videos/virtual field trips (I've shown composting time lapse, seed growing timelapse, the white house garden tour, etc) that elementary schoolers would enjoy?

------------------------------
    Kacie Schrum

• 2.  RE: Favorite Gardening Videos/Virtual Field Trips

Posted 03-25-2021 03:26:00 PM
    Hi Kacie!

Not sure if you've seen these already but here a few places with some great virtual content that could be fun to show students:

​Can you share some of your favorites, too?

Amelia Dupuis
    Kids Garden Community Manager
    KidsGardening

• 3.  RE: Favorite Gardening Videos/Virtual Field Trips

Posted 03-27-2021 11:30:00 AM
    Hello Kacie.  We here at the U.S. Botanic Garden, have just launched a really interactive virtual field trip the education team teaches.  We join teacher classrooms and then use Nearpod as an interactive platform for student engagement.  I would be happy to demo it for you if you are interested.

Thank you.  Lee

Lee Coykendall

• 4.  RE: Favorite Gardening Videos/Virtual Field Trips

Posted 03-30-2021 01:39:00 PM
    Hey Kacie! We (Columbia Center for Urban Agriculture) began producing virtual video lessons as part of our Farm to School partnership with the local public school district last Fall. There are currently 6 videos between 12-18 minutes long, with one more planned for early May that we're currently filming. One is a virtual tour, three are more standard lessons, and two are a set of videos we produced for black history month celebrating black scientists. You can find them through the YouTube link below and are more than welcome to share them with your students. They were produced with a target audience of 3rd-5th grade, but should be able to be enjoyed by a wider age range. Hope this helps!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvjKpnVGKZrNd62Waxg8CId9sXthRPON_

Clint Brinkley

• 5.  RE: Favorite Gardening Videos/Virtual Field Trips

Posted 04-01-2021 05:19:00 PM
    This is a beautiful short video on pollinators..the kids love it!  https://youtube.com/watch?v=MQiszdkOwuU&feature=share

Peggy Kenney