Growing Together: Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Aphids on the Run

Posted 03-03-2022 11:55:00 AM
    Hello everyone!

I am a novice gardener, and I have jumped into the world of running and maintaining a community garden. There has been a lot of joys thus far, I am currently being faced with an issue that I need some experience with.

One of the schools that I serve is hosting a hydroponic system ( Lettuce Grow Farmstand Tower) and we have recently gotten a  pretty bad case of the Aphids! I've done a bunch of online research and found different spray solution mixes ( mostly with vinegar, and mild soap) and it has recently fried the plants.
    many of the leaves were damaged so I clipped them off
    An aphid on the grow tower, and the eggs on the cilantro plant
    I sprayed these strawberries yesterday and they have since wilted

What is your experience with aphids on either your hydroponics on in the garden and how did you manage it? I understand this is a growing process, but I feel a little lost right now, and I want to be able to give the kids a great learning and growing experience.

Any and all help is welcome!

Thanks

------------------------------
    Nande Gilbert
    Manager of School and Teen Programs
    Highland Youth Garden
    Columbus, Ohio
    nande@highlandyouthgarden.org
    614-515-3322
    https://www.highlandyouthgarden.org/

• 2.  RE: Aphids on the Run

Posted 03-04-2022 11:18:00 AM
    Hi Nande,
    Good for you for jumping in and be willing to learn as you grow!
    A word of caution with regard to looking to the internet for garden information, there is some great information and some not so great information out there (as you’ve discovered!)
    I’m glad you’ve discovered this forum, it’s a wonderful community.
    I encourage you to look into your local Master Gardeners Association as well, you should have one in your area. You can call for advice, upload pictures to their email and someone will be able to help you.

• 3.  RE: Aphids on the Run

Posted 03-07-2022 11:36:00 AM
    That's a great point. I know we have the OSU extension center, and they have a master gardener line. I never thought to bring up the problem with aphids. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Nande Gilbert
    Highland Youth Garden
    Columbus, Ohio
    614-515-3322

• 4.  RE: Aphids on the Run

Posted 03-07-2022 11:47:00 AM
    I am volunteer with the San Diego Masters here and we have school garden committee where we work with many schools in the county. 
    I'm sure your local MG's have such a program as well, check it out!

Peggy

• 5.  RE: Aphids on the Run

Posted 03-04-2022 11:34:00 AM
    Nande- aphids are kind of amazing little bugs. They appear out of no where and cover those fresh green leaves and buds - they are food for beneficial insects like ladybug larva and lacewing larva. They go through a bunch of phases, and the best way to control them is to get on it early and frequently. They have a little piercing part that sticks into the plant to suck the juice. However, if you knock them off the plant, that mouth breaks off and they starve/die. Water in a squirt bottle that shoots a good stream at the aphids works well to knock them off and the kids might enjoy that project. Do it regularly. I also just take my fingers and gently brush them off. A few aphids won't kill your plants. A little stress is good. Good luck!

Katie David

• 6.  RE: Aphids on the Run

Posted 03-07-2022 11:34:00 AM
    Thank you so much for this tip! For our next growing adventure, I will have to make an aphid detective job where the kids can spray them off.

Nande Gilbert
    Highland Youth Garden
    Columbus, Ohio
    614-515-3322

• 7.  RE: Aphids on the Run

Posted 03-04-2022 11:46:00 AM
    Hi, We have had great luck getting rid of aphids on both kale and milkweed by simply squirting down leaves in evening with hose and then squishing those that are left.  After a couple of times doing this they are pretty much gone.  No need for mixed solutions, at least for us.
    Craig Bowie
    Happy Valley Elementary School, California

Craig] [Bowie]
    [Garden teacher]
    [Happy Valley Elementary School]
    [Santa Cruz] [California 95065]
    craigbowie

• 8.  RE: Aphids on the Run

Posted 03-07-2022 11:35:00 AM
    Thanks for mentioning this. I thought the fancy solutions would do the trick, when good ole water is all I needed.

Nande Gilbert
    Highland Youth Garden
    Columbus, Ohio
    614-515-3322

• 9.  RE: Aphids on the Run

Posted 03-04-2022 11:47:00 AM
    Nurseries sell lady bugs to help with aphid problems, I have also seen people have success with just buying ladybug scent. This could be a good learning opportunity for the kiddos about food chains:)

Linden Pearsall

• 10.  RE: Aphids on the Run

Posted 03-07-2022 11:38:00 AM
    I saw a couple of mentions of this online. If the hydroponic system was outdoors, I would look more into this. However, I don't think the STEM teacher would appreciate a full ecosystem in her room. You are correct though, the live-action food chain lesson would be amazing for students, and would really bring the classroom to life!

Thanks for sharing this thought!

Nande Gilbert
    Highland Youth Garden
    Columbus, Ohio
    614-515-3322