Growing Together: Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Irrigation methods

• 1.  Irrigation methods

Posted 03-24-2021 12:49:00 PM
      |   view attached
    What irrigation methods do you use? In the past I have had a program where the children create irrigation vessels with empty gallon jugs (see attached picture). But I am wondering if I should invest in a more sophisticated system with tubing and a timer.

------------------------------
    Karen Stuppi
    Children's Librarian
    New Brunswick Free Public Library

• 2.  RE: Irrigation methods

Posted 03-24-2021 02:37:00 PM
    I love this! I really appreciate how accessible it is for all families. Has it worked well for you to this point?

Kacie Schrum

• 3.  RE: Irrigation methods

Posted 03-26-2021 10:09:00 AM
    It was a good project to do with the kids, but it did not work great in terms of irrigation. Maybe if I came up with a way to use tubing with holes in it to connect the jugs, it would water more of the bed more evenly.

Karen Stuppi

• 4.  RE: Irrigation methods

Posted 03-25-2021 01:24:00 PM
    Hi, I think that drip irrigation is the best method of irrigation for a school garden. You are able to conserve water, increase production, decrease disease and weed pressure along with the ability to put a timer on it to use on weekends or non-student attendance days. I would look into this. For my graduate thesis I studied successful school gardens and one of the factors that we saw was drip irrigation. It is a game changer.

Amy Sidran

• 5.  RE: Irrigation methods

Posted 03-26-2021 10:10:00 AM
    Thank you! I will look into cost efficient drip irrigation methods and a timer.

Karen Stuppi

• 6.  RE: Irrigation methods

Posted 04-05-2021 07:19:00 PM
    I also like drip irrigation. This is a great way to introduce children to water conservation. We recently purchased some elevated garden beds. Would you recommend drip irrigation or is there another product you would use? 2x8 garden beds, 10 inches deep.

Doris Ing

• 7.  RE: Irrigation methods

Posted 04-06-2021 08:10:00 AM
    Hi, yes I would recommend it for raised beds. I think it is the most efficient and with a use of a timer you can water on holidays and student non-attendance days. It is also good to water early in the morning to decrease evaporation during the hot months.
    I would do some research as to the best drip irrigation for raised beds but I have also gone to Home Depot or local nursery for basic drip irrigation and been happy.

Amy Sidran

• 8.  RE: Irrigation methods

Posted 04-21-2021 08:24:00 AM
    What brand of drip irrigation system in time or did you use? I need to purchase the things for my garden but I have no experience in this area.

Thanks so much!

Anne Santana

• 9.  RE: Irrigation methods

Posted 03-27-2021 11:28:00 AM
    The Department of Parks and Rec (DPR) here in DC has run some wonderful webinars and I noticed one was on drip irrigation.  FYI - I have not viewed this particular one but they can be found here: http://dugnetwork.org/dpr-urban-grower-webinar-courses/

Lee

Lee Coykendall

• 10.  RE: Irrigation methods

Posted 04-06-2021 02:29:00 PM
    Addendum to my original question: do any of you have experience with rain barrels?
    I would like to set up a drip irrigation system, but I will not be able to attach it to a faucet so I am now researching the possibility of attaching it to a rain barrel.

Karen Stuppi
    Children's Librarian
    New Brunswick Free Public Library
    60 Livingston Avenue
    New Brunswick, NJ 08901

• 11.  RE: Irrigation methods

Posted 04-21-2021 04:11:00 PM
    You can us the rain barrel with you irrigation system. The challange is getting the rain barrel high enought for gravity to pull the water down to the garden hose.

Susan Borders