Growing Together: Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  School Garden Tasting Waivers

Posted 02-22-2022 01:41:00 PM
    Hello all, Wondering if anyone uses a "Tasting Waiver" in their school garden? I learned that some school gardens use these and I can't seem to find an example online anywhere. Apparently they are distributed to parents asking for permission for their children to sample produce/request allergy info. Any links or help would be appreciated!

------------------------------
    Kelly Mitchell

• 2.  RE: School Garden Tasting Waivers

Posted 02-23-2022 11:29:00 AM
    Hey Kelly- I have one in the linked pdf. It's on page 13
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5GOF9QAkBJRWHdNei1sQ19SYW8/view?usp=sharing&resourcekey=0-HMWS0nLwtQYxKRJVbwai8A

Hailey Small

• 3.  RE: School Garden Tasting Waivers

Posted 02-23-2022 12:06:00 PM
    Hello Hailey,
    Thank you for this information - it is very helpful!
    Thank you!
    Kelly

Kelly Mitchell

• 4.  RE: School Garden Tasting Waivers

Posted 02-27-2022 11:43:00 AM

I have my students sign a Garden Pledge that includes information about allergies. The pledge is meant to be brought home and read by the student and their parents and then signed and dated by both student and parents so that we are all on the same page about behavioral expectations. 

I make sure to have a list of medical allergies from the nurse on hand, but for the most part, I know I can count on the kids to tell me if they have a real medical allergy to a food they might try in the garden.

Here is the full text of the garden pledge:

Clear Dot Charter School Garden Pledge

1.  Safety

I pledge to work SAFELY when I am in the garden.  I will use common sense when using all garden tools.   I will ask to use tools and never grab them from a friend or just pick them up and start using them.  I will use tools only in the way they are meant to be used.  I will look all around myself when using long-handled tools or moving large items in the garden like trellises or stakes.  I will never fight over or play with garden tools, trellises, stakes, other equipment or supplies.

2. Responsibility

I pledge to work when it's time to work, do research when it's time to do research, write reports when it's time to write, and participate in all other activities.

3.  *We don't waste food.

I pledge to eat what I pick.  I will try every vegetable or fruit that we pick from our garden by breaking or cutting off a piece to try it.  I will not just take a bite out of a vegetable or fruit.  If I am given a vegetable or fruit that I do not like, I will bring the uneaten part home for a family member to eat.  I understand that we work very hard to grow the food we produce in our garden.  I will not throw out garden vegetables!

*Students who have a documented medical allergy to a vegetable or fruit can be excused from tasting anything they are allergic to.

4. Keeping the garden clean / composting.

The garden is to be kept clean at all times.  I will not leave any trash anywhere in our garden or on the ground on our school grounds.  I will always put the uneaten part of a vegetable or fruit in the compost where it belongs so it can decompose back into the soil and be used to grow more vegetables.

5.  Completing work in a timely manner.

I understand that the seasons do not stop or wait for me to be ready to do my job in the garden.  Seeds must be planted at the right time of year or the plants may not reach maturity and produce vegetables, or they might not grow at all.  I promise to do what needs to be done when asked to do it without complaint unless there is a good reason why I can not do it or I need help doing it.  

6.  Paying attention and doing only what needs to be done.

I understand that the plants in our garden will grow or die because of my actions or inaction.  I pledge to take responsibility for the health of our gardens and their upkeep including planting, watering, weeding, raking, digging, and cleaning up.

7.  Being a community educator.

I pledge to be a community educator explaining to my friends, family members, and other community members about the things we are doing and growing in our garden.  I understand that by teaching others how to grow their own food I am helping my community by encouraging others to eat fresh, healthy food that can help them live healthy lives and avoid preventable conditions such as obesity, heart disease, and diabetes.

Student Signature: ______________________

Parent Signature: _______________________

Date: _________________________________

Michael Frank

• 5.  RE: School Garden Tasting Waivers

Posted 02-28-2022 11:53:00 AM
    Thank you Michael for this amazing amount of helpful information. All things I haven't even started yet as I am still in the very beginning phases of planning and coordinating. It sounds like you are quite experienced and have a solid system in place! Again thanks for your input and efforts!
    stay fruitful,
    Sharon Andrews

Sharon Andrews
    Jefferson Elementary School
    New Britain CT

• 6.  RE: School Garden Tasting Waivers

Posted 02-28-2022 01:08:00 PM
    Thank you, Michael! This is very helpful information! Sounds like you've got a great gardening program.

I appreciate your assistance!

Kelly

Kelly Mitchell