Growing Together: Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Community Chat: Curricular Connections

Posted 02-17-2023 09:49:00 AM

Hi! Hoping to see many of you at our next Community Chat on Tuesday 2/21 at 3PM ET to discuss making curricular connections in school gardens! 

This Chat topic is great for anyone with questions or lots of experience to share related to integrating school gardens with curriculum as a way to make academic connections, encourage more teachers to utilize the garden, gain administrative support, and so much more. We can talk about state standards, subject-related activities, building teacher confidence, and anything else you want to ask about or share. 

All Community members are welcome to join! 

More info and link to register

------------------------------
    Amelia Dupuis
    Kids Garden Community Manager
    KidsGardening

• 2.  RE: Community Chat: Curricular Connections

Posted 02-22-2023 09:33:00 AM
    Edited by Amelia Dupuis (she/her) 02-22-2023 09:33:01 AM
      |   view attached

Thank you to everyone who attended yesterday's Community Chat and shared so many ideas for making curricular connections in school gardens and supporting teachers to use the garden space! I felt like we barely scratched the surface so please continue to ask any questions you have or share ideas here.

The recording of the Community Chat is attached and below are the time stamps and a list of some of the resources that were shared.

Resources supporting the benefits of school gardens and evaluating your own garden program:

Curriculum resources:

Other resources:

Time Stamps for the Recording:

15:30 – Ideas for making successful school gardens when growing season is over the summer

26:55 – Tips for gardening with toddlers

33:50 – How to get more buy-in and participation from teachers and admin/addressing hesitations

46:20 – Lessons and activities and where to find some

56:05 – Things that have worked well to get started with making curricular connections

Amelia Dupuis
    Kids Garden Community Manager
    KidsGardening

• 3.  RE: Community Chat: Curricular Connections

Posted 02-27-2023 09:00:00 AM

Amelia, 

Thanks so much for all the work that you do with this organization! I have found this group and forum so helpful as I have tried to start gardening at my schools and I am so grateful! 

Sophie

Sophie Lindley, RDN
    Nutrition Coordinator II
    SFE
    Westfield, IN
    1-317-867-8062