Growing Together: Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Kids Garden Month Contest For Adults 2024!

• 1.  Kids Garden Month Contest For Adults 2024!

Posted 28 days ago

Hi all! April is KidsGardening's annual Kids Garden Month celebration and contest! Just like the past couple of years, we're holding a contest for adults here in the Kids Garden Community.

For this year's contest, we want your sincere, sarcastic, funny, or inspirational answers to the question: "What do you love about gardening in your region?"

Can you garden outside all year long? Do you get hours of exercise covering and uncovering your plants to protect them from frost? Is your garden on the monarch migration route? Does your state grow the best blueberries? Are you just itching to pick veggies at dusk with all your mosquito friends? 

For all of April, you can add your answer here as a text response, photos, video, song and dance, artwork, or however you want to convince us that your region is awesome (or not!) for gardening!

At the end of the month, FOUR respondents will be randomly selected to receive a goody bundle of 1 Back to the Roots mushroom grow kit, seed packets, and garden tools.

(P.S. Learn more about the kids contest hosted by KidsGardening here.)

------------------------------
    Amelia Dupuis
    Kids Garden Community Manager
    KidsGardening
    she/her

• 2.  RE: Kids Garden Month Contest For Adults 2024!

Posted 27 days ago

I am the manager of the agriculture department for a school district in the state of Alaska we have 7 schools in are district and all participate in agriculture in many different ways. We do many different forms of gardening each campus has a greenhouse and outdoor garden beds. 2 schools do aquaponics gardening, 1 school does hydroponics gardening and the others mostly plant in their dirt beds outside. 1 of the campuses has an orchard that has 15 fruit trees that produce fruit every year and we hold an event with all of the other campuses in the fall to harvest and preserve the fruit. We grow fruits and vegetables to feed our school lunch program and students sell to their communities whatever is not given to the lunch program. I love gardening in the region I'm in because we have the resources to grow year round in Alaska and produce for the communities and schools around us. 

Madeline King

• 3.  RE: Kids Garden Month Contest For Adults 2024!

Posted 27 days ago

What I love about gardening in my area is growing food within the city limits. We do urban farming. Many of my neighbors are renters. I have introduced them to container gardening. It is so easy. Both young and old enjoy it. 

Denise Terry

• 4.  RE: Kids Garden Month Contest For Adults 2024!

Posted 27 days ago
    Edited by Hope Sickmeier 12 days ago
    Work Day

We are in central Missouri and are fortunate enough to grow year-round using our high tunnels. We see kids daily ages PreK-4th grade and it's always a whirlwind!  We have had some really warm days and that makes me want to plant everything outside!  Yesterday was 78 *F and the temps are steadily dropping and we are expecting temps in the 30's tonight!  We just spent the last hour covering our baby plants!  Honestly, that's one of the things I love about gardening in Mid-Missouri, you are always kept on your toes. It forces you to think outside the box and strategize how you can grow year-round.  We have tomatoes and cucumbers already planted inside one hoop house with water walls around them and of course cover cloth for nights when it gets colder.  Pics are planting potatoes, the baby tomatoes and Jr. Beta Club during a work day in the garden.

Hope Sickmeier

• 5.  RE: Kids Garden Month Contest For Adults 2024!

Posted 27 days ago

I love when the Garden system works naturally.  I nearly squealed in delight when I found 2 tomato hornworms on my plants and realized they had already been parasitized by white wasps.  I didn't even have to do anything to manage my pest problem, nature had taken care of it for me.  Sometimes being slow on the uptake has it's advantages!

Rina Zampieron

• 6.  RE: Kids Garden Month Contest For Adults 2024!

Posted 27 days ago
    Exciting School Gardening

Eric Scott

• 7.  RE: Kids Garden Month Contest For Adults 2024!

Posted 26 days ago

Yesterday was 70, today is 29. When gardening in Wisconsin, you'll never know what you find!

I love it here, but the weather definitely keeps us on our toes. I never seem to know if it's truly safe to put plants outside. That being said, I love having seasons and the different kinds of produce that come with each one. I work at a summer camp, and it's awesome to have the kids watch and anticipate the growing vegetables and fruits. 

Laura Aprill

• 8.  RE: Kids Garden Month Contest For Adults 2024!

Posted 26 days ago
    Oh, gardening in my region is certainly an adventure! Let me paint you a picture with a dash of sarcasm and a sprinkle of humor.

Imagine a land where the weather can't make up its mind – one day it's basking in glorious sunshine, and the next, it's a freezing tundra. That's gardening in West Tennessee!! You never know when you'll have to perform an intricate dance, covering and uncovering your precious plants like they're the stars of a Broadway show.

But hey, at least you get a full-body workout, right? Who needs a gym when you can lift those frost blankets and sweat like a pig? It's the ultimate calorie-burner!

And let's not forget the delightful company we have while tending to our gardens. Sure, the mosquitoes might be the size of small birds, but they add a certain buzz to the experience (pun intended). Their incessant whining is like a motivational soundtrack, reminding you to work faster or become their next meal.

On the bright side, our region is home to the most delectable blueberries you'll ever taste. They're so plump and juicy, you'll be tempted to have a blueberry-eating contest with the birds (spoiler alert: the birds always win).
    Our little garden goes out of its way to provide new toad abodes during Christmas time where my student elves crafted new little homes from up-cycled milk cartons using their creativity building such homes as the Zestful Zucchini Zenith, Toadshire Castle, Croakstone Citadel, Slimy Shack, to the Hoppy Hole Hipster, which will be added to our raised beds to entice our garden friends to come and munch on our slimy-slugs and insects that abound. 
    My gardening includes out Ritz Roost habitat for our chickens.  From clucking new friends to trapping those feral cats and raccoons, it is never a dull moment  around our little garden. 

But despite all the challenges, there's something incredibly satisfying about plucking those fresh veggies from your own garden and sharing them with the community and students. It's like a reward for enduring the elements and battling the insect armies. Plus, you get a front-row seat to the most spectacular sunsets nature has to offer.

So, while gardening in West Tennessee might not be for the faint of heart, it's an adventure that will keep you on your toes (and probably covered in mosquito bites). But hey, at least you'll have the tastiest homegrown produce and a newfound appreciation for the great outdoors – or perhaps a newfound desire for a greenhouse!

donna burrus
    Fayette Academy
    Somerville TN

• 9.  RE: Kids Garden Month Contest For Adults 2024!

Posted 18 days ago
    Edited by Amanda Grant 18 days ago
      |   view attached

Gardening in our area can be very challenging!  You could say we have about 9 months of winter with about an average of 3 feet of snow on the ground throughout the winter!  But we still love to garden and we love our pollinators!  Idaho's state insect is the monarch butterfly!  We use hoop houses and frost covers to protect vegetables in town and for pollinator gardens we luckily have many species that require that frost-freeze cycle to start their germination so we have some beautiful native wildflowers that we can grow in the summer for our pollinators in our high alpine location of McCall, Idaho where we sit almost a mile-high!  We have challenges from the mule deer that like to come through and nibble on plants, but again- our native plants are resilient!  Photos attached include one of where our pollinator garden is located (under early winter snow) and a photo of when we first planted it!  Gardeners here are very dedicated and passionate!  

Volunteers planting at the Ponderosa State Park pollinator garden
    November snow blanketing the garden.
    First summer with the pollinator garden
    December snow over the current pollinator garden location with some mule deer as well.

Amanda Grant

• 10.  RE: Kids Garden Month Contest For Adults 2024!

Posted 17 days ago

I think I've loved gardening all my life. I started my first home garden while living in Southern California, and then later in Eastern Ontario, Canada, and now in Southwest Virginia. All of these areas bring their own challenges. In 2020, I started teaching cooking and gardening classes at the Gainsboro YMCA and have found my passion. Even though our garden is small, we have managed to improve it over the years, adding raised beds with walkways and a greenhouse, and last year we turned it into a multicultural garden, growing produce from around the world. The students cook what they grow, and then share the leftover produce with a local church and community shelter.

The most satisfying part of the garden is watching the children's wonderment as they plant seeds, learn about composting and pollination, and then harvest what they have grown. They cook healthy, budget-conscious recipes, and most times are willing to try it all, even taking recipes home for their families to make.

Then why wouldn't I love gardening?

Elizabeth Shideler
    Virginia Western Community College
    Roanoke VA

• 11.  RE: Kids Garden Month Contest For Adults 2024!

Posted 17 days ago
    Sunny days in the Garden Sunny days in a place where it can be so peaceful. Listening to the bird's chirp and daily walkers walking their furry four-legged friends. I enjoy the outdoors in this spot. I get to have the opportunity to make this spot to get its color back. I am alone some days in this place doing what I love doing. Gardening weeding and getting the garden better then what it was, There is lots to do. When it's only you who sees the potential and benefits of a haven such a place to call a garden...but it's missing people hands and hearts to keep it alive. it needs to  come alive again it needs color and hand to tend it. Waiting for more to be more passionate to come along and join me. This garden needs to be helped, I  have seen you at your worst I have seen you threw most of the seasons and here I am with my hands tending you.

Samantha Bisson
    Anacortes Wa

• 12.  RE: Kids Garden Month Contest For Adults 2024!

Posted 16 days ago

I started really getting into gardening about 3 years ago. Since then I've started and directed a local community garden, worked on school gardens, and am a current Master Gardener intern.

A lot of what I hear in Oklahoma is, "If you can garden in Oklahoma,  you can garden anywhere!" We have the range of the crazy hot weather in the spring to random artic blasts of below zero in the winter. The worst however, is the wind. The wind is extreme her, not to mention the tornadoes!

Despite all that, we have managed to be super successful with gardening here, and it has been a fun challenge. This year I'm really working on gardening with my children and getting their school looking beautiful! 

Bethany Sipe

• 13.  RE: Kids Garden Month Contest For Adults 2024!

Posted 15 days ago
      |   view attached

Gardening in Massachusetts means rolling with the seasons and finding wonder and awe with my students every day. I love and struggle with the puzzle of engaging students outdoors in the winter, and I cherish all the small summer firsts, from a child's first time seeing a butterfly emerge to their first taste of a new vegetable from the garden. 

Rachael Drinker

• 14.  RE: Kids Garden Month Contest For Adults 2024!

Posted 15 days ago

Gardening in Virginia - I love that we have a decent growing season (especially for working in a school!) and that our climate lends itself to a diverse range of native plants and veggies. I don't really love the rock hard clay soil (at least in our area of VA) and the brutal heat that comes in early august when school starts. I wear an apron to hold my tools…. but also to cover the sweat when going in and out of the building haha! 

Alicia H Rodriguez
    Fredericksburg VA

• 15.  RE: Kids Garden Month Contest For Adults 2024!

Posted 14 days ago

I have 14 grandchildren and what I love about gardening is they all love eating from the garden and orchard. My four year old grandson eating supper states, "Can you box this up and can I take it home?"  Another five year old grandson stops to pick up more of my frozen beets which he loves.  Sitting under the fruit trees with my ten year old granddaughter she states, "Your house is the yummy house!" Fresh fruits and vegetables taste better than store bought!

Mary Ann Skersey
    Goffstown, NH

• 16.  RE: Kids Garden Month Contest For Adults 2024!

Posted 13 days ago
    Edited by Tyra Toby 13 days ago

I love gardening in Maine! The very distinct 4 seasons brings us through the wheel of the year as a reminder to observe in ourselves what we observe in the garden.  Working with children to grow food opens up your eyes to so many little details we may overlook as adults. They are the first ones to find the wild blueberries and strawberries growing, see little snails and slugs on the kale leaves, point out that the chives are back, and make sure to harvest 2 cherry tomatoes each time; one for them and one for a friend. I love to watch their joy in the garden, everything being so familiar but still so new! We planted some peas yesterday and they loved digging holes to plant each seed, only able to carry a few in their tiny hands they so carefully placed them in the holes that they dug. Involving the children in the growing of the food to the chopping of the vegetables and making their meals makes each meal so special and so enjoyable! I think it is extremely important to always include children in gardening and no matter where you live to show appreciation for things big and small in the garden and on the land you are working with!

Tyra Howes

• 17.  RE: Kids Garden Month Contest For Adults 2024!

Posted 13 days ago
      |   view attached

I love gardening in my region. see why! 

Jane Thorne
    "The Littlest Learners"
    Westminster MD

Attachment(s)

pdf
    1my garden.pdf   708 KB 1 version

• 18.  RE: Kids Garden Month Contest For Adults 2024!

Posted 12 days ago

Gardening is Western New York is always full of surprises! It could be the snow that falls in May, or the 70+ degree temperature in February.  I love how gardening awakens all my senses and makes me thankful to be outside. The sound of the birds, the smell of the earth and flowers, the feel of worms or soil, the beauty to see in the greenery with splashes of color , and of course the delicious food we grow and eat.  

Linda Sternin
    Edison Elementary Community and Children's Garden

• 19.  RE: Kids Garden Month Contest For Adults 2024!

Posted 11 days ago

Hello from Pennsylvania.  Gardening here can be challenging due to the crazy weather swings.  Some years we are hot and dry, some it rains every day of summer.  Yesterday was 80 next week will be mid 60s.  I run a greenhouse program at our school and some years our plants do fantastic and sometimes they get fried when they sprout.  I also incorporate gardening in our therapeutic riding program.  We try to plant things the horses like to eat.  My home garden is a hodge podge of things that  I love to harvest every year.  I have my son help me in the garden and last year we used 2x4s to segment our garden.  

Dana Flaherty
    Wylandville

• 20.  RE: Kids Garden Month Contest For Adults 2024!

Posted 4 days ago
      |   view attached

I am excited to plant our new garden today with the 3rd and 1st grade students at Dunwoody Elementary in Atlanta, Georgia.  I don't know a lot about gardening, but I can put the people together who do know.  I like seeing the kids enjoying being outside.  Today will be so great to be the first time to plant our new garden beds!

Kate Edmonds