Growing Together: Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Outdoor Sink

Posted 01-31-2023 11:54:00 AM
    Has anyone set up an outdoor sink of some sort?  hate having to send kids inside to wash up and dirty up the sinks inside. (I am at a public elementary school.) I was thinking of something like this... 
    Clean-IT Outdoor Sink System With Large Counter Top RSI-S2 - The Home Depot
    The Home Depot remove preview
    Clean-IT Outdoor Sink System With Large Counter Top RSI-S2 - The Home Depot
    From Riverstone Industries comes the only affordable Clean-IT portable outdoor sink program in the market today. The RSI-S2 larger area work surface sink is a great sink that allows within minutes a fully
    View this on The Home Depot >

Looking to see if someone has another idea or plans for something we could make with an extra kitchen sink.
    Thanks!

------------------------------
    Megan Jackson

• 2.  RE: Outdoor Sink

Posted 02-01-2023 11:23:00 AM
    We purchased a plastic folding fish/game cleaning table with sink a couple of years ago. You can find them online in multiple places, and they are not terribly expensive. I like it alot, because if we do outdoor activities with clay or mud the kids can wash off before going back inside and it creates less mess. It connects to the hose, and drains well. If you have concerns about the soap washing into the soil, you could put a bucket underneath to catch the water.

Franke Smith

• 3.  RE: Outdoor Sink

Posted 02-02-2023 07:19:00 AM
    What a great idea. I had no idea something like this existed. I'm going to see if we can get one.

Elizabeth Shideler
    Roanoke VA

• 4.  RE: Outdoor Sink

Posted 02-01-2023 12:21:00 PM
    Hello Megan,

We also purchased a fish cleaning sink (from Amazon) and it has been quite useful, but you just need to think about drainage. We put buckets underneath ours and haul them to water the nearby trees. It can be heavy to carry the buckets, but it's a great lesson for the kids on conserving water. We use a mild biodegradable hand soap and we try to not let it run for too long as those buckets fill up quickly!  The fish cleaning sink is nice because it has some extra space for food prep.

Hope this helps!

Kelly Mitchell
    Balboa Gifted Magnet School

• 5.  RE: Outdoor Sink

Posted 02-01-2023 03:53:00 PM
    Great discussion.

Those portable sinks seem like a good solution. I have also seen stainless steel versions online that may hold up longer outdoors than plastic.

One thing we have found is having multiple faucets or a "hand shower" is useful to get many hands washed at once rather than having kids stand in line to wash hands or rinse things one by one.
    See a photo album of sinks used in school gardens including a few DIY hand shower sinks

One other thing to consider is that some garden hoses are not meant for potable water so look for a Lead Free hose or ones meant for RV/Marine potable water use. They are often white hoses.

We also use this method to wash many hands fast.
    1. Have adult with a garden hose that has a spray handle
    2. Have kids make an elbow to elbow circle or lineup and hold out their hands face up.
    3. Have adult walk by with hose and wet all kids hands.
    4. Have a volunteer follow the adult and with a bottle of foam soap and a squirt of foam soap on wet hands.
    5. Kids wash, scrub hands
    6. Adult makes a final pass/rinse with the hose to rinse off kids hands
    7. Kids do jumping jacks or walk around the garden waving their hands over their heads to air dry their hands.

See more tips on washing produce without a sink at:

-- JOHN
    John Fisher - Director of Programs & Partnerships - 831.471.7831 - 
    Life Lab cultivates children's love of learning, healthy food, and nature through garden-based education. A 501(c)(3) non-profit organization with locations in Santa Cruz and Watsonville, CA

• 6.  RE: Outdoor Sink

Posted 02-01-2023 04:35:00 PM
    Yes, I bought a fish fillet sink and hooked it up in the garden!  It really was a life saver washing hands and produce!

donna burrus
    Fayette Academy
    Somerville TN

• 7.  RE: Outdoor Sink

Posted 02-03-2023 06:04:00 PM
    My goodness, there are so many great ideas here.

Here's a suggestion for how to get the waste water from the sink to the disposal area without having to lug heavy buckets. You might want to consider having a spigot installed a few inches up from the bottom of your 5 gal collection bucket. Attach a garden hose to the spigot and run the hose to where you want the water to soak into the ground. Be sure the students watch as the spigot is installed, tools used etc. The more observation and participation the better.

There are over 900 Habitat for Humanity ReStores around the country. They are an excellent source for new or gently used building supplies, sinks, tools etc. at greatly reduced prices. The money you do spend supports a very good cause. The money you save can help pay for something else. Have the students chose between available options. ReStore is also a good place for a "mini field trip" for some of the students. It provides an opportunity to discuss reusing, repurposing, thinking outside the box and creative problem solving. 

Becky Umbach

• 8.  RE: Outdoor Sink

Posted 02-04-2023 06:45:00 PM
    I found directions for this sink on line. i took it to home depot and one of the employees gathers all the parts for me including cutting the sink. Then a a group of volunteers were able to put it together in 3 hours. it is on wheels so I can store it in the shed. it hooks up to a hose and has a large PVC pipe on the bottom to drain to the grass.

Evelyn Margolin
    (916)501-1173