Growing Together: Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Painting Garden signs - advice needed

• 1.  Painting Garden signs - advice needed

Posted 12-13-2022 05:33:00 PM
    Our school recently had a minor renovation and there is a new single garden space with enough beds for each teacher.   We used the wood from our old garden beds to make signs for each classroom.  The kids came at lunch to paint 18" signs that have their teacher's name on them.  We used acrylic paint and the wood is redwood. 
    @But then we realized that maybe we should cost it to protect it??  These weren't meant to necessarily be permanent. We just wanted to get something fun done in the garden and establish who's bed was who's.

Have any of you looked into eco friendly protective coatings?  Do your signs do fine without it?
    We are in California and get a lot of sun.

I learned a lot recently about polymers, plastic, rubber, etc and I am hesitant to use an acrylic resin or polymer or spray coat etc.​

------------------------------
    Pamela Bond
    Los Gatos

• 2.  RE: Painting Garden signs - advice needed

Posted 12-14-2022 12:13:00 PM

For our garden signs, the kids painted with acrylic and wrote with Sharpie markers. The Acrylic held up well, but the Sharpie disappeared completely by the end of the summer. After painting, the signs were coated with polyurethane, which may not be all that eco, but it also has worn off. I brought them inside for the winter - we're in coastal Maine - and plan to have the kids spruce them up. I also would be interested to know if there is a product to seal the signs that will hold up well and also be environmentally friendly.

Lisa Brita
    RSU 71. Captain Albert Stevens School
    Maine

• 3.  RE: Painting Garden signs - advice needed

Posted 12-16-2022 01:32:00 PM
    I thought of a few places to ask.  I will reply to this thread if I find anything but I am thinking about just putting them up without a coating for now. I haven't been able to find anything online other than polyurethane. I might just leave them natural and plan to repaint.  I don't know what's worse, acrylic washing away eventually or polyurethane washing away eventually!!   There may be a more heavy duty paint to use but then I don't know if I could have kids painting with it.

Pamela Bond
    Los Gatos

• 4.  RE: Painting Garden signs - advice needed

Posted 12-17-2022 11:15:00 AM
    Every eyar the teachers and children change, so just repaint.  Gardeners Supply makes some eco friendly stains for their raised beds.  Stain first and then paint the acrylics over the stain.  Next year, just sand aand redo with the new class.
    https://www.gardeners.com/buy/exterior-wood-stain/8596700.html

Judy Pfister
    Delaware Master Gardener
    Millsboro, DE
    Judy

• 5.  RE: Painting Garden signs - advice needed

Posted 12-17-2022 11:44:00 AM

Thank you Judy, good idea!  I realized after we did it that we should have stained or primed the wood first.  But we can do that next year!

Pam

Pamela Bond
    Los Gatos

• 6.  RE: Painting Garden signs - advice needed

Posted 12-17-2022 09:24:00 PM
    I haver been an art teacher as well as garden teacher in numerous schools and my students have done lots of murals in school gardens and around campus.  
    Years ago I used polyurethane coating but discovered that using just acrylic holds up  the same and is much more user friendly. Just do some touching up after a couple of years as colors fade.  Here is some signs we just finished as a winter project.  How wonderful to integrate art in the garden.

Craig] [Bowie]
    [Garden teacher]
    [Happy Valley Elementary School]
    [Santa Cruz] [California 95065]
    craigbowie

• 7.  RE: Painting Garden signs - advice needed

Posted 12-18-2022 09:55:00 PM

Craig,
    I am glad to hear that this works well for you since we are in a similar/same climate as you!  I am envious to hear of all of Santa Cruz's school garden programs!  I appreciate the advice and glad to just get the signs up!

(I attached a picture of the signs minus their stakes, just after we painted.)

Pam

Pamela Bond
    Los Gatos

• 8.  RE: Painting Garden signs - advice needed

Posted 12-18-2022 04:08:00 PM
    Pamela,

Regular ol' acrylic paint is easy to work with, not toxic, and cleans up pretty easily if you catch drips early.(doesn't come out of clothes, though, so have your kids wear cover-ups!). I have recently been getting some nice bright colors at the local dollar store.
    We have also found mis-tinted "oops paint" at home improvement stores that is often exterior grade. With luck it will be in a color you like!

Tracy Calla
    Director of Education, Bullington Gardens
    Hendersonville NC

• 9.  RE: Painting Garden signs - advice needed

Posted 12-18-2022 09:58:00 PM
    Thanks, I forgot I could try to get some of those mistake mixes.  I think smocks or something might be a good idea. I am hoping that there weren't too many upset parents after these activities.  They mostly kept it off their clothes but it was cold outside so kids were wearing coats or long sleeves.  I haven't heard any complaints yet so hopefully it was ok!

Pamela Bond
    Los Gatos

• 10.  RE: Painting Garden signs - advice needed

Posted 01-03-2023 06:04:00 PM
    I haven't tried this over paint but I often seal wood in the garden with Linseed Oil since it's Flaxseed.

Janet Hofmann

• 11.  RE: Painting Garden signs - advice needed

Posted 01-04-2023 02:59:00 PM
    I have found that "puffy" paints work well on large paint sticks.  You can either buy these online or get some donated from a local lumber store. 
    Good luck!

Leigh Trembath
    Central Gardens of North Iowa
    Clear Lake, Iowa 50428
    www.centralgardensnorthiowa.com