Growing Together: Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Plant sale fundraiser

Posted 02-09-2023 04:01:00 PM

Hi, 

I am wondering if others have resources to help me learn and set up a spring plant sale fundraiser for our gardens. I understand the basics but was wondering if I don't need to recreate the wheel if there are resources and guides to setting up and timelines for a spring plant sale fundraiser.

------------------------------
    Kristina Boswell
    Birch Lane Elementary
    Davis CA

• 2.  RE: Plant sale fundraiser

Posted 02-10-2023 11:11:00 AM

We did a plant sale last spring from our school garden. The students actually ran the sale after school and we only took donations, didn't price anything. We raised $700 from that plant sale!  We had tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, calendula, nasturtium, marigolds and several herbs like mint, rosemary, basil and thyme.

As for the planting schedule, we started many seeds indoors by mid-March so we had a few weeks for them to really have some growth. I use this calendar to help me. https://www.johnnyseeds.com/growers-library/seed-planting-schedule-calculator.html

Hope

Hope Sickmeier
    Hope Sickmeier
    Ashland MO

• 3.  RE: Plant sale fundraiser

Posted 01-31-2024 12:30:00 PM
    Edited by Deena Class 01-31-2024 01:28:35 PM

I organized a fall native plant sale for our school in NC last September and it was a HUGE hit! We'll be expanding for our spring plant sale and including herbs, veggies, some non-native (but not invasive) ornamentals, etc. 

We made over $1,500 from one afternoon's sale! My one piece of advice for the first time would be to find a local wholesale nursery or two (keep it as simple as possible) and PURCHASE your plants the first time around! It's already a ton of work, but having those beautiful baby plants with photo tags makes life much easier. I did also create winter sowing seed kits and those were a hit, but also a lot of work. 

Where possible, do deals (like we did 4 quart-sized plants for $20 or 1 plant for $6). Think through your organization of the plants (e.g., We are in a very wooded area, so this next time, I know to organize our plants by environment - e.g., "under tall trees that loose their leaves in winter," "sunny and dry/septic-field-safe").

For that first plant sale, my daughter (who is quite the little artist and loves nature) made beautiful decorations (different flowers, birds, bees, butterflies, etc. that we laminated and hung up) and our main sign. Now that folks have seen our booth setup, there are lots more families/kiddos interested in getting involved in the next one and helping out more! 

That also goes a bit to my advice to start out re-selling plants if that's feasible and having the kids participate in other ways (e.g., creating nature crafts, manning the booth if of an appropriate age- our kids are elementary, so while they were there to "help," that was limited to helping folks box up their plants, pressuring passersby with their puppy dog eyes to stop and shop and whatnot!). 

Now, for our 2024 spring plant sale, we'll have a selection of natives from that wholesale nursery (and from a couple of other places so we can also sell woodies and saplings), and we'll also have some plants the kids and I will start from seed. But I would not have been able to branch out without first getting folks excited and invested so they'll be helping shoulder the work! Good luck!

Deena Class

• 4.  RE: Plant sale fundraiser

Posted 01-31-2024 12:45:00 PM

We do much the same. I found we made more money from donations than actually taking the time to price everything. I do a Facebook post, post on our webpage and then on our school newsletter to remind them of the upcoming sale.

Hope Sickmeier

• 5.  RE: Plant sale fundraiser

Posted 02-10-2023 01:53:00 PM

I am going to do a spring plant fundraiser for the first time this year! I don t know where you are located, but here near Cleveland OH there is a local greenhouse that helps non-profits through fundraisers. I just have to do the promo, people order on line, they deliver the plants to our school, and we coordinate the pickup. We get 30% of the sales. Its called Dean's Greenhouse. Perhaps a greenhouse by you has a similar program?

Lisa Hardin
    St. Edward High School
    Lakewood OH

• 6.  RE: Plant sale fundraiser

Posted 02-12-2023 02:06:00 PM

Hi, Kristina.  This will be our fifth year for a tomato plant sale.  I don't know of any resources, but since it involves several schools, I carry the materials among them.  I have the students mix the soil, plant the seeds, transplant the seedlings, and conduct the sale.  We sell them $2 each, 3/$5, so the kids have to practice their math, too!  They really enjoy selling their plants to the community.

Eugene Tuckwiller
    Houston TX

• 7.  RE: Plant sale fundraiser

Posted 02-13-2023 10:15:00 PM

Hello!

We have organized fall and spring bulb sales through Dutch Mill Bulbs.  They help you through the whole process and include an online site.  The sale was very successful.  We had local orders come to the school, where we divided up the orders and gave them to the students to take home.  The online orders were delivered straight to the customer.

We also have a tomato plant sale every year.  The students plant the seeds, repot and generally care for the seedlings until the sale.  We order heirloom varieties that are not easily available in local stores and we have a great community following.  We do not price our seedlings, but offer a suggestion donation of a few dollars a pot, depending upon the size of the seedling.  We have typically grown at least a dozen varieties split up into the small, medium and large categories in a variety of colors:  black, purple, green, yellow, orange and of course red.  Our best year brought in over $1200!  All of our proceeds go into our own school garden fund.

Daina Gulbis
    K-8 Garden Coordinator
    Somerset Hills School District
    Bernardsville, NJ