Growing Together: Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  What Plant

Posted 03-19-2023 03:13:00 PM

I've been trialling with seed tapes- used strips of newspaper and dropped the seed sparsely onto glue made from 50:50 flour ad water.  Planning to plant these in the next few weeks here in Wiltshire, England. The children -5 to 11, have loved indoor projects before the weather improves.

------------------------------

Evelyn

• 2.  RE: What Plant

Posted 03-20-2023 01:57:00 PM

That is a great idea! Please keep us posted!

Julia Chambers
    AFFEW
    Fountain MI

• 3.  RE: What Plant

Posted 03-21-2023 11:59:00 AM
    I've tried a number of DIY methods to make my own seed strips and I've had the most success using long strips of toilet paper. 
    • Put the strip of TP on some wax paper or plastic wrap to prevent sticking or tearing. 
    • Use a squeeze bottle to apply small drops of thinned white glue at measured spots along the length of the TP. 
    • Drop one or two seeds onto each drop of glue. 
    • Fold the TP in half lengthwise to enclose the seed. An additional drop of glue helps to ensure that the seed stays in place. 
    • Allow to dry completely before moving. 
    • Advantages - 1. The folded TP encloses the seeds preventing them from being rubbed off the strip. 
                                     2. TP absorbs water and disintegrates much faster than other papers encouraging more successful seed germination. 

• 4.  RE: What Plant

Posted 03-27-2023 02:51:00 PM

I have also found TP to be the best.  It's harder to get but use single ply TP (for septic systems) or separate the sheet layers on a 2 ply TP.  After folding them, give them a quick roll with a foam roller (piece of pool noodle) works great.  It's soft enough to compress the tape and glue without crushing the seed. It's also easy for kids to do (4-6 yr olds.)

Judy Pfister
    Delaware Master Gardener
    Millsboro, DE
    Judy