Growing Together: Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  What plants

Posted 03-04-2023 04:08:00 PM
    Can someone tell me what are some good vegetable plants to plant in the Spring in the South? Is it more productive to plant seed or plants?
    Thanks
    Jeanette

• 2.  RE: What plants

Posted 03-05-2023 03:48:00 PM

Not sure where you are in the South, but here in Houston we're transplanting tomatoes and peppers, and planting beans and cucumbers.  Your state extension service should have a planting guide of your area of the state--maybe even specifically for your county.

------------------------------
    E A "Tony" Tuckwiller
    Houston TX

• 3.  RE: What plants

Posted 03-05-2023 07:19:00 PM
    Thank you we are in Tennessee. Great, I will try the guide. 

• 4.  RE: What plants

Posted 03-06-2023 08:42:00 AM
    Hi Jeanette,

I'm in Georgia. 
    Right now you can put in some "cool season" crops like lettuce, English peas, Swiss Chard, carrots, beets, and broccoli.  Do everything except broccoli from seed. 

Also, go ahead and put in potatoes -- they won't be ready until summer, but they do well going in early here. 

Once it starts getting *hot* then those cool season crops will not do well, so go for cucumbers, tomatoes, eggplant, and green beans.  Tomatoes and eggplant are easiest as a plant rather than by seed. Cucumbers and green beans will be fine going in as seeds.  The "rule of thumb" for these plants are wait until Easter to put them in because then we will be past the last frost date -- unless you are in South Texas or Florida, then you can put them in toward the end of March. 

--
    Michelle Zupan
    Curator 
    Hickory Hill & the Tom Watson Birthplace
    502 Hickory Hill Drive
    Thomson, GA  30824
    706-595-7777
    FAX: 706-595-7177

Visit us at www.hickory-hill.org or on Facebook.
    Follow us on Twitter: HHEducation

Historic homes of the Watson-Brown Foundation, Inc

• 5.  RE: What plants

Posted 03-06-2023 03:45:00 PM

I am in Fort Worth, Tx and I fell in love with luffa gourds last year.  I started them from seed in April and by August had beautiful vines and flowers, but they did not set fruit until September and then grew crazy, huge luffas until the first freeze!

Anne Santana
    STEM Garden Educator
    North Hi Mount Elementary
    Fort Worth, Tx

• 6.  RE: What plants

Posted 03-07-2023 11:41:00 AM

We've grown luffa in our school garden the past 5 years. We are in Central Missouri and they grow beautifully, the bees love the flowers!  Our 4th graders use the luffa in gift bags with garden made lavender & mint bath salts for a fundraiser. In those 5 years, we've raised more than $5000.

Hope Sickmeier

• 7.  RE: What plants

Posted 03-17-2023 09:37:00 AM

I love this idea!

Erica Krug