Growing School Food Gardens

View Only
  • 1.  Welcome and tips!

Posted 02-01-2022 02:06:00 PM

Welcome to the Growing School Food Gardens (GSFG) community! We're thrilled to have this space devoted specifically to supporting anyone across the country who is growing food in a school garden.

Let's get started! Introduce yourself as a reply below or start a new post to ask a question.

Here are a few tips to help you get started in this community:

1. Fill out your profile! This helps build stronger connections and helps members better support you. Note: Your profile here is the same as on the Kids Garden Community main site.

2. Mark your calendar to join us for a Welcome Webinar on February 8th!

3. Tap into the knowledge of this network! Ask your questions in the discussion and check out the "Connect with Members" section to search and connect with members in your area or with similar interests.

In the upcoming days, we'll introduce two Community Coordinators who will become familiar faces in this community as they provide support and connect you with resources. 

Our GSFG project team coordinators @Lily Nguyen, @Sarah Pounders, and @Sarah Lane (she/her) are also here to share their many combined years of experience working in school food gardens and are putting together some great webinars for this spring. 

I'm looking forward to learning A TON from this community! 

​​​

------------------------------
    Amelia Dupuis
    Kids Garden Community Manager
    KidsGardening

• 2.  RE: Welcome and tips!

Posted 02-01-2022 04:05:00 PM
    Hi all,
    I'm Em Shipman, ED of KidsGardening, an active community member, and mom of two. I support my eldest son's school food gardens and am excited to learn from this community about growing food with/for preschoolers.
    I'm sharing a photo of the garden below. It's an adorable little space and I can't wait to get back into it in just a few months.
    Happy gardening,
    Em

Em Shipman
    Executive Director
    KidsGardening

• 3.  RE: Welcome and tips!

Posted 02-07-2022 06:46:00 PM
    Hello,
    I'm Erica Krug and I'm really excited to be one of the Community Coordinators for this group! I am Farm to School Director for Rooted, a nonprofit in Madison, Wis.
    In addition to working with AmeriCorps members to support six school gardens, including one at my son's elementary school, I also help to coordinate the statewide Wisconsin School Garden Day event in May. I love tending to my own garden and am happiest when I've spent the day digging in the dirt. I'm sharing a photo below of my son with some radishes from our garden last spring. I'm excited to connect with you all and to learn a lot from this community!

Erica Krug

• 4.  RE: Welcome and tips!

Posted 02-15-2022 07:44:00 PM
    Hello Everyone!
    I'm Christina Smith-Galloway and I'm really excited to serve as a Community Coordinator! I am looking forward to sharing my school gardening experience/information and learning more from YOU! I am a huge advocate for engaging in schools and communities and currently serve as a volunteer on a number of local school improvement councils,  environmental education organizations, and community gardening groups here in SC. I love working and promoting school gardens, learning new gardening styles, flowers, and foods across cultures, ecoprinting with natural dyes derived from plants, and learning new recipes to cook from garden to table. I am a wife and mother of two, and an avid home/school gardener who aspires to cultivate a love for gardening with everyone I meet! I spend quite a bit of time daily with my family and friends in the garden. We not only plant tons of green goodness in our garden, but we use it as a space to connect, read, create art, and dance! I can't wait to connect and learn from you all! 
    Happy Learning and Growing!
    Christina

This is an image of me and my family in one of the garden areas in my backyard.

[Christina][Smith-Galloway]
    [GSFG Community Coordinator]