Growing School Food Gardens

View Only
  • 1.  Culturally Inclusive Garden-based Learning

Posted 05-10-2022 06:48:00 PM
    Thanks to those of you who joined us for this phenomenal webinar with Amoreena Guerrero, Dr. Dilafruz Williams, and Lori Koenick. There was so much wonderful engagement in the chat that I wanted to keep the conversation going here. 

So please let us know: What is your favorite idea for making the garden an inclusive space for youth? 

All who post an answer to this question before Monday, May 16th will be entered to win a copy of the "Growing Food" curriculum from KidsGardening & the Teacher's College at Columbia University. 

------------------------------
    Em Shipman
    Executive Director
    KidsGardening

• 2.  RE: Culturally Inclusive Garden-based Learning

Posted 05-11-2022 10:07:00 AM
    My favorite idea for making the garden an inclusive space is providing multiple means of representation for perceiving and comprehending information - particularly alternatives to auditory and visual information. I especially appreciated the lists of tactile and olfactory plants in the resource "Increasing Inclusion in the School Garden." What a great opportunity to both promote inclusion and employ less-commonly used senses.

Kate Tran

• 3.  RE: Culturally Inclusive Garden-based Learning

Posted 05-12-2022 11:16:00 AM
    My favorite idea for making the garden an inclusive space for youth is remembering how important it is for all of our students to feel connected to their surroundings.  How their contribution to it matter, we have an array of students from many different cultures, speaks multiple languages. As they enter the garden, it's a constant reminder for me to make sure that they feel a sense of belonging, that their thoughts and culture matter and is appreciated. I was told by one of our teacher last week about a Lower Incident student who's favorite class is the garden.

It was such a joy for me, because that student doesn't usually say much but for her to express her joy for garden class was beautiful and made me recognize how important for not just her but also any and every child to feel that they can belong in this space called 'our garden'. I can remember from personal experience how happy and content I felt when my mom sent me to the country. At first it seemed so far from the city, but having the mangoes, avocado trees to climb was a treat for a little girl in Haïti.

Those moments of having my mother on many occasions in our walks pointing and naming a specific herb or eatable plant, has contributed to my green thumb, and for that I'm truly grateful. It is my hope to learn from and contribute to our students that same joy, and appreciate what they have to offer in our garden.  

A Culturally Inclusive  garden is truly an advantage to our lives and enhances every moment we have in our garden, and recognizing that it truly is our best way of enjoying life.

Shella Moritz
    Macolm C. Hursey Elementary
    N. Charleston SC