Growing School Food Gardens

View Only
  • 1.  Indoor Lighted Growing Stands/Racks

Posted 02-22-2022 04:08:00 PM
    Hello,
     I am currently applying for a grant to purchase indoor lighted growing racks or stands for my school garden. I was researching Gardeners Supply as they seem like they get fairly good reviews, but they are pricey.  Wondering if anyone has used these LED or High intensity? Pros/cons Or if you know of other quality seed starting racks? Did you also use with seedling heat mats? I would like to purchase a kit that is relatively attractive as it will be in the school hallway. (little avail. light) We are hoping to start seeds soon as a fundraiser before school is out in mid-May and as a donation of starter plants for our local food pantry, as well as for our school garden. Our growing season is really short in CO so I am trying to get a head start!
    Sunlite 3-Tier LED Grow Light | Gardener's Supply
    Sunlite High Intensity 3-Tier LED Grow Light | Gardeners.com
    Thanks for your input.
    Pam

------------------------------
    Pamela Cooley
    Prairie Winds Elementary
    Hawk Gathering Garden- Volunteer Garden
    Coordinator
    zoo_fro@hotmail.com
    Monument CO USA

• 2.  RE: Indoor Lighted Growing Stands/Racks

Posted 02-24-2022 12:01:00 PM
    Hi Pam!
    I'm trying to get a few pics of the schools that have indoor growing racks in their school hallways. I do know that most of them have built their own using racks from local hardware stores or reclaimed wood in partnership with local carpenters. They do use mats since the schools' turn off their heat/air when the school is closed for the day/weekend. As soon as I receive more information from the contacts I have, I'll make sure I share!

Christina