Growing School Food Gardens

View Only
  • 1.  Sowing seeds in containers with a large group

Posted 02-16-2022 05:52:00 AM
    Hello Friends,
         My question is strategies for including a group of 10-14 individuals in sowing seeds in our container garden. I want to reduce wait times as everyone has to take turns. I also want to increase opportunities for all to be equally involved.

For example, yesterday we tried a new way to plant radish seeds. We used small newspaper cups. Each individual received a cup, filled it with soil, and planted two radish seeds in it. Then they came up to the large container and we planted the newspaper cup into the container. The advantage to this method is that each person got to do each step and even put a stick with their name on it to mark their radish cup. However, now I'm worried that maybe the newspaper will take too long to biodegrade and prevent the radish root from growing.

I know radish seeds need to be half-inch depth. How much soil would need to be in the cup for the seed to grow properly? Do you think this newspaper cup approach is even functional? I'd like to use this approach (or something similar) to plant marigolds, dwarf sunflowers, basil, and nasturtiums. I'd love suggestions for improvements or other recommendations. We do have limited space inside and are direct sowing the majority of our plants as we live in sunny, warm South Carolina. 

We also planted baby lettuce/ mesclun mix, which was easier because people sprinkled their seeds directly in the large container. We will plant carrots this way in a couple weeks.

I look forward to your feedback!

Appreciatively,       
           Ally
    Garden Co-Coordinator
    Programs for Exceptional People
    Bluffton, SC

------------------------------
    Allison Burnett
    Hardeeville SC

• 2.  RE: Sowing seeds in containers with a large group

Posted 02-22-2022 10:13:00 AM
    Hi Ally!
    Your question reminded me of a video that my colleague, Nathan Larson, made about gardening with children. He calls this method, "Inefficiency by Design." 
    I was also wondering about the possibility of setting up stations so that while a few students are planting seeds the other students could be working on other garden tasks and then you could rotate. 
    We are having an "Ice Day" here today in Wisconsin so actually planting seeds in the soil sounds like a dream! Happy planting!
    Take care,
    Erica

Erica Krug

• 3.  RE: Sowing seeds in containers with a large group

Posted 02-23-2022 06:32:00 AM
    Hi Erica,
        Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my question! The video was incredibly helpful to visualize "inefficiency by design" and got me brainstorming. Nathan's method will be perfect when we transplant our tomatoes or plant our cucumber seeds (i.e. two seeds in a DIY 5-gallon self-watering container).
          You also got me thinking about splitting up into two smaller groups; right now, classes are instructed by me and my garden co-coordinator. So, for example, when planting radish and carrots next week, we could have two separate groups of around 6-8 people. For each grp, two people can take turns filling in the container with soil. A third person can moisten the soil. The 4th person will make the holes for radish seeds in the center area of the container. The 5th person will be in charge of seeds and drop the seeds in the holes. The 6th person will sprinkle carrot seeds around the edge of the container. The 7th person will help sprinkle soil on top of all the seeds. 8th person spritzes the top of the container. LOL I could go on. 
         Again, so grateful for your assistance!! Happy gardening to you and yours :)

Joyfully,
    Ally

Allison Burnett
    Hardeeville SC

• 4.  RE: Sowing seeds in containers with a large group

Posted 02-24-2022 11:27:00 AM
    Hi Ally!
    I live in SC too! I'm sure your radishes will be taking off soon! I'm not sure how your garden is set up, but in one of my afterschool programs we used plastic gallon jugs (cut the top off and placed holes in the bottom) so that everyone could plant their own radishes at the same time, while I demonstrated at the raised bed on campus. It turned out pretty well and the kids got to take them home after harvest. Also, did you see the School Gardening for SC Educators that Clemson Extension horticulture is offering online? It's pretty awesome! They offered it for free last year and the curriculum, materials they provide, and resources they provide is AMAZING! https://www.clemson.edu/extension/school-gardening/index.html

Christina

• 5.  RE: Sowing seeds in containers with a large group

Posted 02-24-2022 12:00:00 PM
    Hi Christina!
        Thank you for your tips!! I will check out the Clemson link. I have used some of their info online but was not aware of the School Gardening program. LOVE the upcycling gallon jug idea and will start collecting them. And yes, radishes have sprouted!!! I also posted my question on the Reddit gardening forum and was informed that it's best to keep the lip of the newspaper cup at the level of the soil to prevent soil moisture from wicking up the newspaper and evaporating. Otherwise, newspaper will decompose fairly quickly.

Joyfully,
    Ally

Allison Burnett
    Hardeeville SC