Growing School Food Gardens

View Only
  • 1.  How to distribute food?

Posted 06-21-2022 01:47:00 PM
    Does anyone have any experience in how to distribute food they have harvested in their school garden? Our high school environmental science teacher has planted a MILPA garden (40 different types of vegetable/fruit seeds) and some of my students will be helping in the harvesting process. I would like to be intentional about giving the food away to food insecure community members. How is this process handled? Are multi agencies involved? Do people come to your campus to pick up the food or do you deliver it somewhere?

------------------------------
    Jena Simms

• 2.  RE: How to distribute food?

Posted 07-06-2022 02:30:00 PM
    Hi Jena,

You could donate directly to the local Food Bank.  That would ensure that it goes to those in need. 
    Or, if your school district's Title I coordinator would work with you, you might be able to do CSA-type boxes to the families in the school district who need it. 

Michelle

Michelle Zupan
    Hickory Hill
    THOMSON GA

• 3.  RE: How to distribute food?

Posted 07-06-2022 06:02:00 PM
    Thank you! I think the Food Bank is the way to go for our community. The other option that I think we might opt to do is to distribute food boxes to our school faculty and staff.

Jena Simms

• 4.  RE: How to distribute food?

Posted 07-06-2022 02:35:00 PM
    We have 3 food kitchens in town on different days of the week. They all take donations directly from gardners and give them out directly to their guests.

Janis Gadow

• 5.  RE: How to distribute food?

Posted 07-06-2022 06:02:00 PM
    I hadn't thought about different days of the week donating to different food banks. Great idea! Thanks for that!

Jena Simms

• 6.  RE: How to distribute food?

Posted 09-29-2022 04:58:00 PM

Hi Jena!

I love the resource ampleharvest.org to connect your school garden with local food pantries that are open to accepting the fresh produce. You plug in your zip code and it tells you what pantries/organizations in your area would collab. 

Good luck, and great work! :) 

Abby Brown
    Fork Farms
    WI