0 Shares
28 Downloads
Attachment(s)
pdf file
Garden Planning Activity.pdf   428 KB   1 version
Uploaded - 11-29-2023

Comments

12-03-2023 12:35:15 PM

Hi, Christina! I don't have a worksheet, but happy to share what I'm leading at my daughter's elementary school! We didn't have any gardens at all really at the start of this school year, but the community is very interested in them. I'm bringing a few "hats" to it: Social science researcher, therapeutic horticulture (memory garden for children who have lost loved ones, sensory garden, wildlife garden space, etc.), growing edibles, pollinator plants, native plant habitats, etc. 

So the principal and I walked the grounds and I asked about different spots and got recommendations from teachers and PTA parents. We chose a bare naked courtyard that just has a couple of shade trees towards the back and then lots of grass. The kids go out there during recess, but it's not their main play area or anything. 

I took several high quality photos of it from different angles and am having one that's taken from kid height (so their perspective more or less) printed onto a large vinyl banner (3' x 5'). 

Then I've isolated photos (taken out backgrounds) of LOTS of different things: Fun wayfinding signs the kids can make, tree stump seating, garden games (like tree stump tic tac toe, an outdoor "music wall"), a trellis arch, lots of native wildflowers, veggies, berries, wildlife like frogs/toads/salamanders, hummingbirds, butterflies, bluebird houses, you get the point! I'm printing those and laminating them. 

The vinyl banner will be hung in the hallway across from the art classroom (or thereabouts) and teachers will help facilitate/organize the timing around when the kids can design their garden! I'll have paths already on there, maybe the arch trellis will be at the entrance, but I'm excited for them to design 99% of it themselves! There's a lot of creative license in there for me as the garden designer and plant "expert" (e.g., if they put up lots of "noses" meaning they want plants that smell good, I can help choose those plants, or same for pollinator plants), so it's a good collaboration! 

I'm doing it this way drawing from my "dayjob" background as a social science researcher focusing in communications, outreach/inclusion, and engagement research. Often even adults will be like a deer in the headlights if you ask them something head-on ("What plants do you want to grow?") and they might even say something like "I thought that's why YOU were here!" So the interactive research approach allows folks (kids or adults) to focus on what they actually prioritize and want (butterflies, veggies, berries, birds, frogs, pretty flowers) and then we can help guide them there! :) 

Once they're done, I'm going to make a design in my landscape design software for the school and the district and then we'll get going! We'll be starting seeds and also having another plant sale fundraiser (we raised a TON of money with the first one in the fall some of which will go towards getting this interactive garden started, some of which helped us buy plants for the front sign garden bed that was mostly empty). 

If you're interested in hearing how it goes or would like some photos/images that I've been prepping in canva for printing- just reach out! More than happy to share! :)

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.