Growing Together: Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Garden Hand Pump

Posted 08-27-2021 10:46:00 AM
    I would like to add a hand pump to our school garden. If you have one at your garden, I would love to hear your experiences. I'm interested in the following questions and anything else that you want to share. I'm interested in giving kids the experience in pumping their own water, the exercise that it will bring, and the opportunities to tie the pump to other subjects.  I am starting from ground zero with this!

Is your pump tied into a pressurized city water line? Does your pump draw from a reservoir that you fill with a hose? Do the kids try to drink from the pump? What pump do you use? Pros and Cons of having a pump in the garden? 

Thanks for anything you want to share!

Lara Guerra
    The Hockaday School
    Dallas, Texas

------------------------------
    Lara Guerra

• 2.  RE: Garden Hand Pump

Posted 08-28-2021 11:52:00 AM
    Hello,
    I worked at a school once that had the kodo kids pump. It was fun. It didn't draw water from the ground. The kids had to fill up a big bucket that the pump sat in. 

• 3.  RE: Garden Hand Pump

Posted 08-31-2021 09:38:00 AM
    Thank you so much! I hadn't thought about Kodo even though we do have their magnet wall here at school. I will definitely check it out. I was hoping to have the bucket/tub underground and just refill it before our gardening time started  but having it open and accessible might be our only option. I need to do some more reading and thinking. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences.

Lara

Lara Guerra

• 4.  RE: Garden Hand Pump

Posted 08-30-2021 08:58:00 AM
    Hi Lara,

If you are wanting to install a real hand-pump, then it will cost you big time.  Most are on well water. The cost of digging a well right now is astronomical ($12K - $30K). According to the City of Dallas, installing a new tap into a main line, which is what you will be doing will be in the neighborhood of $2700 (2013 prices) for the install, then you will need all of the piping and hardware on your end, so you're looking at $4000 by the time you're done.  

I work in a very rural area where most of the folks are on wells and no one actually pumps their  water by hand any more -- it's all electrical pumps. 

--
    Michelle Zupan
    Curator 
    Hickory Hill & the Tom Watson Birthplace
    502 Hickory Hill Drive
    Thomson, GA  30824
    706-595-7777
    FAX: 706-595-7177

Visit us at www.hickory-hill.org or on Facebook.
    Follow us on Twitter: HHEducation

Historic homes of the Watson-Brown Foundation, Inc

• 5.  RE: Garden Hand Pump

Posted 08-31-2021 09:47:00 AM
    Hi Michelle,

Thanks so much for the great information. Wow, the prices are way beyond us ! What I had in mind was some sort of small underground tub (cistern is even too grand a word for what I envision) that I would just refill in the morning. We have running water in the garden from a spigot that ties into the sprinkler system that waters the sports field, and I currently use a hose to hand water; however, I thought a hand pump would fun, provide exercise, and a lesson in sharing, as well as a great tie in to 3rd grade social studies. If I could just drop some sort of container in the ground and install the pump over it, I'm hoping that it wouldn't cost more than a few hundred dollars. It seems that the pumps are out there and I just need to find the underground portion, but I still have a lot of reading to do. 

Thanks again for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it!

Lara Guerra

Lara Guerra

• 6.  RE: Garden Hand Pump

This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous
    Posted 11-09-2021 09:33:00 PM
    This post was removed