Growing Together: Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  White House Conference on Hunger, Nutrition, and Health

Posted 09-21-2022 04:30:00 PM
    Hi all,

As champions for youth gardens, we have great stories to tell about the power of garden-based learning and youth gardening to impact nutrition and food security. I'd like to urge you all to consider sharing your experiences, stories, and ideas related to hunger, food insecurity, and nutrition in advance of the White House Conference on Hunger, Nutrition, and Health on September 28th. 

Submit your stories here: Share your Ideas and Stories | health.gov

Get the link to join the conference here: General Public Information Form | health.gov

Happy gardening,
    Em

------------------------------
    Em Shipman
    Executive Director
    KidsGardening

• 2.  RE: White House Conference on Hunger, Nutrition, and Health

Posted 09-21-2022 10:26:00 PM
    I will be there! Thanks for bringing attention to this important subject.

Jody Trumbull
    J.Elizabeth Floral and Farm
    Savannah GA

• 3.  RE: White House Conference on Hunger, Nutrition, and Health

Posted 09-22-2022 03:27:00 PM
    Thanks for letting all of us know. This is what I wrote:

I love to do growing projects in the school library, especially when I'm in a room with great windows. Students seem to like my projects: Grow a Pizza, Grow a Salad or Flower Garden, Tasty Microgreens and now Hydroponics through Environmental Science pilot with library assistance.  One summer, I took home over 100 basil plants that students left when school was out so I put them on my picnic table near a park. I made a sign: Free plants courtesy of GNHS. They were all gone in a week. My takeaway has been that helping a handful of students grow food positively impacts an entire community! Right now, the students are enjoying sampling microgreens before they grow their own. Grow your own healthy smoothies is probably what's up next year in the GNHS Hub.

TLC (Tracey) Nielsen
    Grayslake Community HS District 127
    Grayslake IL