Growing Together: Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Growing School Food Gardens Webinar TODAY!

• 1.  Growing School Food Gardens Webinar TODAY!

Posted 01-11-2022 09:28:00 AM

Are you growing food with kids in a school garden? Join us TODAY to learn how to become part of the Growing School Food Gardens project and community.

Learn more and register to participate at 4PM EST or watch the recording.

Keep the conversation going! After you join us for the webinar or watch the recording, take a minute to respond to the below question to be entered into the raffle to win a garden kit with a Smart Pot, seeds, and a tree kit. Reply by the end of Thursday (1/13) for raffle entry. 

What is one (or more!) of your favorite tools for teaching in school food gardens? (Curricula, songs, recipes, books, supplies, etc.) If you're new to teaching in school food gardens and haven't found your favorite tools yet, share a resource or tool that you think would be helpful for you!

Raffle Prize:

three images next to each other of a tree kit, blue grow bag, and packets of seeds

------------------------------
    Amelia Dupuis
    Kids Garden Community Manager
    KidsGardening

• 2.  RE: Growing School Food Gardens Webinar TODAY!

Posted 01-11-2022 08:18:00 PM
    Thank you SO MUCH, the webinar was excellent!    We just wrote up two activities that we did in November and December with 5th Graders. One was Seed Exploration, and the other was Leaf Rubbing. Each slide in this Google Presentation includes a list of supplies needed for the activity, and instruction /suggestions on how to lead the activity: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1uw2lb_Ah0ne2-SOcuvNbtazrJkLfdqOQoyphn3uJZk8/edit?usp=sharing   We are planning to add more activities to this slide set and will probably modify many that we have seen shared in this group! We think that one slide per activity might be a simple way to choose activities based on weather and other conditions. Enjoy!
    --Rachel Heckscher, Garden Coordinator (with Robin Hernandez of Crossroads Community Food Network) 
    P.S. If you want to add your activity to this slide set, we would love to include it! Create a Google Slide and send us the link, or contact me if you need help creating a Google slide.

Rachel Heckscher
    Piney Branch Elementary School/ Montgomery County Public Schools (Maryland)

• 3.  RE: Growing School Food Gardens Webinar TODAY!

Posted 01-11-2022 08:20:00 PM

I was a FoodCorps service member in 2019-2020, and I thought the FoodCorps Lessons Book and the Sprout Scouts (Garden Club) Leaders Handbook were great resources. The information is available on the FoodCorps website: https://foodcorps.org/resources/

Debbie Schnur

• 4.  RE: Growing School Food Gardens Webinar TODAY!

Posted 01-13-2022 12:32:00 PM
    Hi Debbie,
    I am a FoodCorps service member now and I am so grateful for those resources! It's exciting to see an alumna in this group. Where did you serve?

Laura Sajdak
    FoodCorps
    MI

• 5.  RE: Growing School Food Gardens Webinar TODAY!

Posted 01-11-2022 10:32:00 PM
    Kaci Rae Christopher's "The School Garden Curriculum: An Integrated K-8 Guide for Discovering Science, Ecology, and Whole-Systems Thinking" book has been an incredible resource! It provides dynamic lesson plans by season with overarching themes for each grade. 

Kayla Tandy

• 6.  RE: Growing School Food Gardens Webinar TODAY!

Posted 01-12-2022 07:22:00 AM
    The webinar was so helpful.  Thank you for getting list group together for future guidance.  My favorite school garden teaching tools are having the students assist with everything from planting, to harvesting, to eating.

Emily Shirey
    Lewisburg Elementary School
    Lewisburg WV

• 7.  RE: Growing School Food Gardens Webinar TODAY!

Posted 01-12-2022 08:44:00 AM
    Edited by Kim Schubring 01-12-2022 08:46:17 AM
    The webinar yesterday was Great! Thank you so much for presenting it and all that you are doing to promote gardening. I am fairly new to school gardening. We received our above ground beds in April and were virtual so planted in every bed, however, we haven't entered our groove yet! I have a google doc that I have been loading resources into that will be available to all teachers to add to or pull an activity for an extension once we're going. I'm going to share some of the resources I've found that I've placed in that doc.

Kim Schubring

• 8.  RE: Growing School Food Gardens Webinar TODAY!

Posted 01-12-2022 08:48:00 AM
      |   view attached
    Sorry, my previous links didn't show in the body of my response. So I've added them into a document attached!

Kim Schubring

Attachment(s)

docx
    Garden Resources.docx   13 KB 1 version

• 9.  RE: Growing School Food Gardens Webinar TODAY!

Posted 01-12-2022 10:14:00 AM
    For us the most important "tools" are the students hands. The garden supplies us with such a wide variety of ways for the students to interact, that we reach almost every student in the school. We have gardening clubs, cooking clubs, art clubs, science clubs, and nature clubs that utilize the garden.

Kristin Maag

• 10.  RE: Growing School Food Gardens Webinar TODAY!

Posted 01-12-2022 10:25:00 AM
    My favorite activity is connecting with families and finding the vegetables and herbs they use in their cooking and identifying their recipes and uses. I did this with our student garden I had at my home during the pandemic for neighborhood children. A wonderful take away for me was also learning new ways the parents shared for gardening, things they learned in their country or from elders in their families.  Tying their culture to the gardens allowed me to bring in languages, root words and meanings, and history and the ability to travel the world while we gardened in my front yard.

THERESA HAGELBARGER

• 11.  RE: Growing School Food Gardens Webinar TODAY!

Posted 01-12-2022 11:07:00 AM
    Hey everyone!
    I'm so excited about the raffle! I am currently getting the garden committee up and running this year, so we have a lot of work to do to get our classroom kits ready to go. I did order rolling carts with books, magnifying glasses, plastic shovels and some other goodies so teachers can get their students outdoors. I'm not sure what will be a favorite yet. Students definitely like getting in the dirt and finding all sorts of treasures there (carrots, worms, spiders, long roots, etc). Best wishes to you all,
    Heathre in Colorado

Heathre P

• 12.  RE: Growing School Food Gardens Webinar TODAY!

Posted 01-12-2022 12:03:00 PM
    I am brand new to school gardening.  I garden at home, but I have never tried to bring my passion for gardening and connecting with nature to the classroom on this scale.  I am excited about new ideas and learning from experienced leaders in my area.  We are also in need of funding.  I know, who isn't, right.  Hopefully I can learn about grants, bartering and donations from this experienced group of leaders.

Ann Lupton

• 13.  RE: Growing School Food Gardens Webinar TODAY!

Posted 01-12-2022 12:11:00 PM
    Our gardens falls a little outside the box since we are community gardens that host afterschool groups and summer camps. This year we expanded to add a field kitchen so that the kids can harvest and cook with their produce. A hands down favorite recipe is Refrigerator Dill Pickles from our own cucumbers and garlic that they can make and take home to share with their families!

Kathy Rauth

• 14.  RE: Growing School Food Gardens Webinar TODAY!

Posted 01-12-2022 01:23:00 PM
    Thank you for the great lesson. I love getting students to plant a seed and get to eat it and see where there food comes from. foodcorps also has some great class plans  https://foodcorps.org/resources/

Ben Lefkowitz
    Foodcorps/ Morgan Village Middle School
    Camden NJ

• 15.  RE: Growing School Food Gardens Webinar TODAY!

Posted 01-12-2022 02:41:00 PM
    Hello, I found this webinar on "Growing Food School Gardens very informative and helpful." Thank you,
    Patrice

PATRICE FARQUHARSON

• 16.  RE: Growing School Food Gardens Webinar TODAY!

Posted 01-12-2022 05:10:00 PM
    Hi,

It is too hard to pick "a" favorite but, I thought I would share one of our favorite recipes: microwave kale chips. It is a favorite of a lot of the students that I work with and since it is simple and only uses a microwave, a lot of students report making it at home for their families. It was inspired by an interview on NPR with Chris Kimball that I heard one morning when I had been planning to make kale chips with my afterschool students. Since I invariably burn kale chips in the oven, the microwave method was a revelation! (It is almost impossible to burn them in the microwave.)

Microwave Kale Chips

Microwave safe plate (paper is ok, but must cool completely before reuse)
    Kale
    Olive oil
    salt

Directions:
    1. Tear kale leaves off of central stem and wash in a salad spinner.
    2. Drizzle with olive oil and rub until leaves are a uniform glossy green.
    3. Place in a single layer on a microwave-safe plate.
    4. Microwave on high for approximately 3 minutes or until all leaves are crisp. Salt to taste.

Thank you! It is great to read the shared lesson plans etc.

Leslie Reed

• 17.  RE: Growing School Food Gardens Webinar TODAY!

Posted 01-13-2022 11:01:00 AM
    Some of my favorite tools for teaching in the garden is staying up to date with things that are in season and reading them books that relate to the fruit or vegetable or how to manage or harvest them. We also enjoy meditating in the garden and doing a lesson on Calm.com

Lindsay Bethel