Growing Together: Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Garden "Bell" to Tell Students it's Time to Return to Class?

• 1.  Garden "Bell" to Tell Students it's Time to Return to Class?

Posted 05-12-2022 11:50:00 AM
    Hi, All! 

We've started something new at our TK-8 school called Open Garden Wednesdays. Parent volunteers are invited to work in the garden after drop off, and the garden is open for student visits during morning and lunch recesses. (We've been averaging about 90 visits per day!)

One problem is that students are returning to class late because they're lingering in the garden. I'm thinking of buying something -- hand bell? gong? loud bird whistle? -- to let kids know it's time to leave the garden and return to class.  Suggestions? Direct links to products appreciated!  

Thanks in advance!

------------------------------
    [Amy] [Cody]
    [Parent Volunteer / Coordinator]
    [Latimer Garden & Outdoor Classroom]
    [San Jose] [CA]

• 2.  RE: Garden "Bell" to Tell Students it's Time to Return to Class?

Posted 05-13-2022 11:24:00 AM
    HI Amy!  What a wonderful idea to have an open garden day!  I think a bell would work as long as it's big enough to be heard.  I'm sure your students would love to "practice" being loud to see if they can hear it.

JACQUELINE LACEY
    Kimbark Elementary School
    San Bernardino CA

• 3.  RE: Garden "Bell" to Tell Students it's Time to Return to Class?

Posted 05-13-2022 12:39:00 PM
    I love that idea.  I also have had a hard time getting help in the garden.  I am taking your suggestion.  We have Coffee with the principal, I will suggest that after the meeting to add this to his agenda...  Thank you for this brilliant idea!!

Norma Rich
    Joseph Zito Elementary
    Phoenix AZ

• 4.  RE: Garden "Bell" to Tell Students it's Time to Return to Class?

Posted 05-15-2022 08:02:00 AM
    I found a neglected cowbell in a storage room. I tap it with a stick to let everyone know when to come back from their garden time. 
    The way youve been able to get volunteers at the beginning of the day sounds like a great way to build community.

Elizabeth Fravel
    School of Arts and Sciences Thomasville Rd
    Tallahassee FL

• 5.  RE: Garden "Bell" to Tell Students it's Time to Return to Class?

Posted 05-15-2022 10:59:00 AM
    Elizabeth, 

I was thinking that using a cowbell somehow would be fun. Wasn't sure how to ring it. Stick makes sense. 

The other way we involve volunteers/build community is that we're building a Green Team email list of parent and student volunteers, and we invite them to Green Team volunteer work sessions on weekends. (We meet 1-2 times per month -- depending on what needs to get done -- and have been alternating between Saturday and Sunday from 9-11 a.m. We get work done, but also try to keep it fun and educational.) The email list is getting pretty big, but most families can't come every time; we take whoever can make it. I also copy school administrators and staff on the Green Team notices so that they know we'll be out there; sometimes, a teacher or two will join us.

Amy Cody
    Parent Volunteer / Coordinator
    Latimer Garden & Outdoor Classroom
    San Jose CA

• 6.  RE: Garden "Bell" to Tell Students it's Time to Return to Class?

Posted 05-15-2022 12:14:00 PM
    Green Team has such a constructive ring to it. I might try something like that. Our campus really needs some TLC after being closed off to visitors during covid. I really want to jump start some community involvement initiative. Our school needs some positivity after the social distance and closed campus we've experienced during the pandemic.

Meeting twice a month is an awesome undertaking. Good for you Amy!! I need to try something like this. Its time!

Elizabeth Fravel
    School of Arts and Sciences Thomasville Rd
    Tallahassee FL

• 7.  RE: Garden "Bell" to Tell Students it's Time to Return to Class?

Posted 05-15-2022 04:33:00 PM
    I love Time Timers. For many kids (and adults like me!), being able to see time goes a long way toward helping them manage it, and eases transitions for kids who have a difficult time with sudden disruptions.  They're battery operated and can be carried and set up easily. The 12" or 17" ones are easy for the kiddos to see in outdoor spaces. They have alarms that ring at the end of the set time, but I also have an old cowbell or a string of sleigh bells to use as an extra prompt.

Tracy Calla

• 8.  RE: Garden "Bell" to Tell Students it's Time to Return to Class?

Posted 05-20-2022 12:23:00 PM
    Hi Amy, 
    A great DIY bell option is a used bucket turned upside down with a hole drilled in the top to hang it. You can use a stick or a piece of upcycled PVC pipe as the middle section of the bell. The kids can paint the outside of the bucket so it is bright and fun. 

Buckets have a deep, full, reverberating sound which is sure to draw the attention of a concentrating gardener. I hope this helps. 

Stephanie

Stephanie Montalvo

• 9.  RE: Garden "Bell" to Tell Students it's Time to Return to Class?

Posted 05-27-2022 12:59:00 AM
    We had a former Food Corps educator who taught the students to howl like wolves when an activity was over. All it took was a few to start the cry and then the rest of the class would automatically join in from around the garden. It was a great way to transition. Unfortunately, I did a quick search for a description of this technique and couldn't find anything. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Christina Abuelo
    Garden Coordinator
    Barrio Botany
    San Diego, CA

m: 858-210-2628

• 10.  RE: Garden "Bell" to Tell Students it's Time to Return to Class?

Posted 05-27-2022 11:30:00 AM
    We use a "coyote howl" to get kids to gather around the leader - the leader start the howl and everyone joins in and moves in close until everyone's together and the howling stops. We also have another call and response for when we need to make an announcement to the group. The leader says "hey" and everyone responds "ho" and then is silent and ready for the announcement. It has a certain tune that's hard to write out - basically a descending minor third for all the music nerds out there :) The call and the response have the same two-note melody. Hope that's helpful!

Emma Nadeau
    Learning Outside
    Chapel Hill NC

• 11.  RE: Garden "Bell" to Tell Students it's Time to Return to Class?

Posted 05-28-2022 03:31:00 PM
    Amy,
    Such a blessing to have a problem that students want to stay in your garden.
    I used a cowbell and depending on how many helpers or activities I would make sure that the cowbell rang with plenty of time to clean up and gather.
    I loved walking my group back to a place to meet the rest of their classes so we did not have any issues with students helping during recess or lunch.
    I have also used in the past a garden pass if I had too many students wanting to help out.

You are doing a fantastic job and who doesn't like a little cowbell.

Green thumbs up,
    Grateful Hank

hank stelzl

• 12.  RE: Garden "Bell" to Tell Students it's Time to Return to Class?

Posted 05-28-2022 03:59:00 PM
    Thanks for sharing, Hank.

My thoughts exactly: Who doesn't like a cowbell? ��

Amy